1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Insurance.....am I missing something here?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by beanz27, Oct 15, 2013.

1. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Ok, so for the last month, I've been checking all the insurance companies I can think of. None of them offer a 6 month policy. I have absolutely NO need for commercial plowing insurance in the summer, or commercial liability at all in the summer, all I do is plow, and it's used for mainly personal use in the summer. Occasional farm stuff but nothing requiring or justifying paying for commercial insurance.

Is there any companies that actually offer a 6 month policy, or am I just screwed? I thought of taking the 12 month policy and cancelling it in the spring, but then I'm sure rates will go up or down payment. As it is I've gotten quotes of 500-800 down, and 300-478 a month after that, FOR ONE TRUCK.

Any tips on insurance? I don't want to run without it at all if I'm doing more then a few friends, but I can't justify spending 2500 for insurance that I have NO use for.

Thanks for any and all help in advance guys.
  2. Wendia

Wendia Inactive

If your vehicles are stored during the off-season, consider keeping only your Comprehensive insurance during that time. This will not only protect your vehicles while in storage, but will also eliminate gaps in coverage that can lead to higher premiums.
  3. Ben/Insurance

Ben/Insurance Sponsor

I'm not clear if you are talking about truck insurance or some other form. We only write 12 month policies here in NY. If you cancel prior to the expiration of the policy, I doubt your agent will be willing to write the new insurance (we have to return unearned commission to the carriers so we lose money). It's the same premise dealing with a captive (Allstate/State Farm) or a direct (Geico). You should discuss options that are available to reduce the premium during your down time with your agent.
  4. Wendia

Wendia Inactive

Hi Ben - can't he reclassify to a less expensive classification such as clerical in the non plowing months since he is basically just running his office? Or is that just for WC?
  5. Ben/Insurance

Ben/Insurance Sponsor

He does not say what type of insurance he is referring to. Good luck getting a carrier to reclassify a policy mid term anyway...especially WC which is a tough line of business to begin with here on LI. I have found in my 27 years experience, the less attention from an underwriter we draw to an account the better off the client is....
  6. Wendia

Wendia Inactive

A guy I used to do bookkeeping for plows in the winter and pours concrete the rest of the year. We intermingled classifications every year. It's not too difficult to convince an underwriter that you weren't doing any plowing in July :)
  7. Ben/Insurance

Ben/Insurance Sponsor

That is a payroll/classification issue that should be done either upon first writing the policy, at renewal time, or waiting for audit time at policy expiration...not mid term. I am talking about GL/Umbrella/WC here.
  8. Wendia

Wendia Inactive

Payroll classifications for workers comp yes - but frankly insurance is like voodoo to me. Your the pro so bean should defer to you. Thanks!!
  9. fartbox333

fartbox333 Member

What kind of insurance do you guys require from your subs/owner operators?
  10. Mitragorz

Mitragorz Senior Member

A few days ago, Geico quoted me a 4-month policy.

My State Farm agent said they only do 12-month policies, but that I could cancel after the winter and just get a new policy before the following winter, with no problem at all... But that's because I already have vehicles insured through them. Or, If I don't want to risk getting my license suspended (for having a registered truck with no insurance, even if it's parked), I could put the truck into "storage" which would drop my premiums about 80% (I forget what exactly she called that type of policy).
  11. AEI

AEI Member
    from IL

just use H&R insurance. Hit&Run ........ jk.... i have State Farm here in IL and while i have multiple policy on both auto, business and home..... my agent writes a plowing specfic rider to the vehicle im using to plow with. I dont have any deposits up front either. its specfic to the months that I plow only.