1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

insurace

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by rfed32, Dec 2, 2005.

1. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

so the lt720 is going on the my s10 next wed. cant wait...next question, i will be doing driveways for a friends dad who has a landscaping comp. but do i need insurance or is my reg. truck insurance ok...its not comercial its jst regualr...jst need to know...im also doing three driveways of my own cust. from landscaping...jst wanted some ideas thats all thanks a lot guys...youve been a big help so far

2. go plow

go plow Senior Member

you need a tax id # and insurance !!!!!!!! get caught without them and your gonna get into big trouble around my parts......

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Yes, you need insurance. No, your regular truck insurance is not ok. Don't believe me? Pose this question to your insurance agent. What DO you need - Commercial Vehicle insurance and General Liability insurance. Both are expensive.

4. go plow

go plow Senior Member

i get a kick out of people like this... i lost a job to a person that said to the client, im insured !!! until he hit her garage door. and all he had to say was there was ice on the drive way !!!!! what a joke...........to many people buy plows for their trucks and think, im now a contractor !!!! pay taxes like the rest of us dude......

5. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

thanks for the help guys i have always plowed in someone elses truck and oicked up my own...so thanks for all the help

6. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

how do i get a tax number then???

7. PipeGuy

PipeGuy Junior Member

That's why I don't plow with any of my trucks. As soon as a friggin' inch of snow is forecasted around here (DC area) every T,D&H with a 1/2 ton or more is hangin' a plow on it. And I'm guessing that 90% of the guys driving stakebodies don't have real SS#. Unless you've got de-icing and sanding contracts to go along with the plowing, I just don't believe the 'going rates' for plowing are actually worth the equipment wear and exposure to risk - at least around these parts.
    What really kills me though is how so many guys are willing to beat' the crap out of a truck that's worth $35K or $40K. If I were doing it, I wouldn't plow with anything that didn't have at least 6 or 8 years on it. Call me simple I guess.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2005
  8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Mostly, as a sole proprietor you will use your Social Security Number.

9. MisterIceMan

MisterIceMan Junior Member

You will need to get the insurance. Read your current insurance policy, If you put a plow on your truck and you do work with it, you will most likely violate the policy..