1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

instrument cluster

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by k&j Landscaping, Oct 3, 2010.

1. k&j Landscaping

k&j Landscaping Senior Member

Anyone on here have a problem with their instrument cluster and what did you do. My vin number does not fit into the parameters of the "special" extended bulletin. My speedo is acting up, sticking, and reading incorrectly. I know about the stepper motor problem gm had. Anyone tried any of these online companies who claim stepper motor repairs? Any advice would be great. Problem just started this week and have only 64600 miles on truck. Thanks.

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Mine had the same issue, only mine was covered under the warrenty. Best bet is to just get a new cluster or have yours rebuilt. They are pricey though from what i remember.

3. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

I see www.rockauto.com offers the cluster repair service, I have bought a good amount of parts from them over the years and they are always good to deal with.

4. dreamer

dreamer Member

I had problem with my tach in my 04. I looked on ebay and found a company that would rebuild it for $90 or I could get a rebuilt one for $280. I took it a step further and got one out of an Escalade for $300. Works great and was easy to put in.The company was Digital dash.

5. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

There is a place the next town over that rebuilds dash clusters, electronic throttle boddies, abs units all sorts of goodies for us. bba- reman there on ebay and have repair facilitlys world wide. Last one they did was 100 bucks. http://www.bba-reman.com/us/index.aspx

6. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie Senior Member

on ebay ... send in yours and they send you one back with your mileage on it the next day - good deal ...with guarantee ... about $100 with shipping , most all include the trans temp gauge as well

real easy to swap out - like 10 minutes ...

7. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Luckily for us when it happened their was a place nearby that did just that, you take yours in they give you a new one.. well rebur one with your mileage. Your dealer might be able to guide you to something similar.

8. k&j Landscaping

k&j Landscaping Senior Member

did any of you need to reprogram for locks, security, etc. My dealer said you need them to do some reprogramming. I think they are just trying to say they are the only ones that can help me.

9. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie Senior Member

BS
    I swapped my cluster out myself - plug & play - no changes that I can remember - just like the old cluster info but now a new cluster ... I gave the GM people my cluster and they handed me the refurbished one at the same time, though they asked me for the mileage & Hours ahead of time to locate me one ... then I swapped them in their parking lot ...

10. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

If you can solder, you can just buy the stepper motors off e-bay for like $5 or $10 a motor. Then I can send you the directions to swap them. Takes about 1hr to pull the whole dash, replace all 7 stepper motors, and re-install the cluster and dash.

11. chris694205

chris694205 Senior Member

what exactly did yours do when it broke... mine is an 03 and the oil pressure guage stopped working... it scared the crap out of me but thank god it is either the cluster or the sending unit..

12. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

That is exactly what my 03 did. I was driving along at 55mph and suddenly I lost oil pressure. Bells and dingers going off and everything. She just gave up the ghost.

13. stacks04

stacks04 Senior Member
    from ct

Just buy the new design stepper motors off ebay and do the job yourself. Very easy to do. Also if you buy a new dash you have to go in and reprogram the ipc with the mileage and proper operating software for your vehicle. Unless the seller has the capability to do so.

14. RMHSR

RMHSR Member

Cluster

Had the same thing happen to my 03 last year. GMC dealer told me that the 03 and 04 warranty was extended up to 75,000. Maybe if your 05 was an early model it may still fall into the parameter of the 04. May save you a couple hundred bucks.

15. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Yep. If you can use a soldering iron and have common sense its not that hard or expensive.

16. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

I fi rememeber correctly doesnt gm replace/warranty them up to 75k miles that is the recall i think I know when mine happened it was at 91k and I just replaced the stepper motor myself