1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

instead of price?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by terrapro, Aug 30, 2008.

1. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

because the price varies so much region to region when someone asks for "how much for this lot" instead of price why doesnt everyone answer with a time frame instead of price. same goes with salt, per ton or whatever. as long as the person is aware of his cost per hr (which you should anyway) this should work in everyones favor.

a few tips i have been hearing lately, like drive it out like you would be plowing it, time it and multiply by your hourly expectations and you have your base price to work with.

or we can just sit around complaining about all the newbs :D

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  2. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I think that would work.

I just wish people would take a few mins to look around before asking a question.

It amazes me the number of people who register here then ask the most vauge question you can think of.

It seems like there is alot more newbs this year than in years past. :rolleyes:

Bossman

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Don't complain reach out and smack to little suckersLOL. Seriously that's what we're suppose to be about. helping one another for the betterment of the industry. Forcing the dealers to stand up and the industry to lose it's reputation of being a bunch of Hot Rodding plowboys out for beer money. the only newbies worth whining about are the know it all wanta be's whom underestimate the knowledge contained in these pages.:nod:

4. terrapro

from MI

well than say "i can get it done in 1.25 hours with an 8ft straight" or "it would be 1hr with an 8.2 V".

for the drive time i meant to drive the lot you need to bid on just like you would be plowing it see how long it takes you and pay attention and take into consideration obstructions and possible complications and use that time frame to base your price off of.

5. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

this is one of the better posts ive read in the past week or 2. i dont mind helping anyone out, but when it comes to "put a price on this lot"...if you cant estimate your time and expenses, are you sure you should be in the plowing business?
    i like this option too :D

6. terrapro

from MI

i actually enjoy the bidding process, its exciting. i have just always had a hard time telling someone when they ask here that i would do it for $$$? because i could be off by $10's if not hundreds for different areas. salt is always a tough one for me though since i havent done too much of it in the past.

7. gjfischman

gjfischman Junior Member

As a newbee to the site, I'm VERY appreciative of the help of others on this site that have more experiece in certain areas of snow plowing than I do. In my case, I've done residentuals for years, but can't seem to nail any big commercial accounts. So, just recently, I've got a call to bid on a account larger than I'm used to bidding. I started a thread asking for help. I gave a aerial view, sq.ft. of parking lot, equipment I would use, ect.. and asked just for time frames and salt amounts. The response I got helped me fine tune my bidding process for larger accounts.
    Guys, never underestimate the impact you make on others. I know we (newbees) can be a pain in the butt sometimes, but we are VERY thankful for your advice and wed sites like this. THANKS AGAIN GUYS!!!
    P.S. buy the way, I think I'm becoming a plowsite.com junkie!

8. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Top 15 Posted Questions

Post 1: I've never done a lot so big can someone tell me what they would charge?

Post 2: I've tried to down load a google space pic, but I don't know how. I think the size of the lot is 900 x 700, but there is a triangle side to it that is 300.

Post 3: I'm thinking about using a dodge 1500 with a 7' blade. Not sure what make it is, but it is red and the joystick in the cab says WEST.

Post 4: What time should I start plowing. The guy wants it done by 7:30. I figure if I start around 5:00 I should be fine. I will just have my wife wake me up around 4:45.

Post 5: What's the best salt spreader to use? I'm going to have a tow hitch put on my truck. Are the ones that go in the reciever any good? How much do they cost in my area? How are they hooked up? Do they run off of my truck battery?

Post 6: How much does a bag of salt cost? Can I run the stuff that goes in my water softener? It is cheaper than the road salt. If I put the spreader on 10 can I go faster and get done quicker?

Post 7: Okay, so here is a google earth picture. Where would you push the snow?

Post 8: How fast do you guys drive when plowing? This is a wide open parking lot except for the cars that come and go at all hours. I went out there today and I could get up to 40 on the long stretch in the back. That is alot faster than the residentials I did last year with my quad.

Post 9: I've been thinking it over and I'm probably going to lease a skid steer with a 8' box blade. How much should I expect to pay for that in my area? I rented them before, but never for snow plowing. Do they start okay in the winter?

Post 10: Now the guy is asking for a Seasonal Contract. How many times did it snow in my area over the last 5 years? Do I just take my one time cost and multiply it by how many times its going to snow?

Post 11: What trigger amount do you guys use? I was thinking 4" because around here people like to shovel their own driveways with less than that. Is commerical different?

Post 12: They dropped the seasonal idea and now want amounts for 3"-5, 5"-7, 7"-10", and over 10" How do you figure that. I've pushed 10" of snow before, but never across a parking lot.

Post 13: What do you guys pay your sub-contractors? Do you pay them by the hour or by the job. I'm going to let them drive my truck on my insurance. Come to think of it, are they employees or sub-contractors.

Post 14: What kind of insurance do I need? Is my normal truck insurance good enough? How much is it going to cost me to get plowing insurance?

Post 15: Does anyone know how many times its going to snow this season?

9. salopez

salopez Senior Member

There is a big difference between newbs...and just plain lazy people. The above post seems to show that. There really have been allot more lazy's this year.

I have not problems offering help, but you have to do your part. not how much would you charge for this?....

Thats why I put down what I use for aproduction schedule in "is it just me"

If people would either read more then the first 10 threads or use the search allot of these posts would end.

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Here's another prime example

It should be titled a "lazy lowballer is born"

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=63659

B&B gave him the link with all the answers on it. He dosen't want to read it he wants someone to read it to him.

I don't mind assisting, but if someone has to hold your hand every step of the way you should take it to a dealer