1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Instant Quotes now available at www.kageinnovation.com

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Kristin Stephan, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Kristin Stephan

Kristin Stephan Sponsor

2. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Nice, Is that you pictured on that page with the clip board?

3. Weeded!

Weeded! Member

worth the money?

Is the extra $4000 over a push box worth the money?
    Does anyone have any experience using both a conventional push box and a Kage?

4. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

if they made a 16 footer, with a JRB coupler on it, i might look.

5. Kristin Stephan

Kristin Stephan Sponsor

Image- no that is not me:)

Weeded- Our system is more than a pusher, it is an angle blade with a 'box' attachment. You are getting 2 different implements when you purchase a Kage System. Our system does 3 things that NO pusher can do. Angle, Oscillate and the ability to put down pressure on the cutting edge. So to accurately compare prices if that is what you're looking at our SnowKage is priced at $1,975.00. If you would like further information let me know:)

dayexco- We make 10', 12' and 14' models now for loaders!

6. Weeded!

Weeded! Member

I have seen the videos and the product at GIC. What I am asking is does it do that much more work over a skid steer with a box that it is worth the money in practice.

The unfortunate reality is that it is hard to get people to pay you more per hour just because you can produce more per hour. I understand the benefit for per inch/per push/seasonal work.

7. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

Kristin...looks like your prices have gone down? thought i paid 2100.00 for the ones i have? (mine are 9's)
    steve

8. Kristin Stephan

Kristin Stephan Sponsor

weeded-If you are subcontracting for someone else, it can be hard to make the jump into our system when basically what it does is make you do more and get paid less. Essentially lining the pockets of the company that you subcontract for.

Ethics say that if a guy does more, pay him more. If he is producing higher than average, promote him. Basically the free market mentality.

If the company that has the contracts doesn’t think this way, I would say try your own accounts and compete with them. You would probably win.

If you are already in business for yourself, you may be able to increase your productivity so much that you can add accounts to your route. Getting more done, and getting reimbursed this way rather than charging each account more. In fact you may be able to decrease your price, showing a competitive spirit and pleasantly suprising your clientele.

Lastly you would probably notice reduced fuel consumption going from a pusher or bucket.

Xtreem3d- You would have paid the $2100 because yours is for a Boss plow I believe, so the brackets are a little higher. The 1975 is the SnowKage without brackets.

9. xtreem3d

your right...good memory :)

10. Weeded!

Weeded! Member

Hi Kristin,

We have all our own accounts (a few threw a national, most direct to prop manager or retail outlet).

We didn't run any push boxes last year but expect to this year. We added wings to our plows last year to increase production, and I understand the points you are making. Fact is, it requires a lot of education to show an hourly rate client that a more productive machine of the same size (skid steer vs skid steer) should be paid more per hour. Not that it's impossible.. I am working on it.

That said.... if I had two identical lots (say 5 acres each, four inches of snow), how long to clear with a KAGE vs a conventional push box of the same size?

Also, does the Kage require a stronger machine? Does it require high flow pump?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  11. kcress31

kcress31 Senior Member

I have a 10 ft kage on My Bobcat and it is worth every dollar I paid for it. It gives you two attachments in one that you carry with you all of the time. It allows you to essentially use the right tool for the job. The secret to snow removal is being able to do more with less and part of that is having the right tool for the job.

12. Kristin Stephan

Kristin Stephan Sponsor

Weeded- You would decrease your time by 25% (conservatively) by using a Kage System vs. a pusher.
    The Kage Advantage is that you become faster and more efficient. You may want to consider a different method of approaching your contracts. For example if you were to bill a flat rate every month, or bill per inch of snow you could benefit by your faster more efficient equipment. Your customer could appreciate this competitive approach, knowing that their contractor is using the most efficient equipment and getting the job done in record time. You can charge the same or less as what it takes currently by the hour, and possibly add more accounts.

Let me know your machine size and I will tell you what size we recommend. Also you do not need high flow.

kcress31- Thank you for the kind words:)

13. Weeded!

Weeded! Member

Problem is with between ZERO and 4 events per year it's tough to charge for the averages around here. I cannot take the chance that the 5.9 inches falls over 30 hours during a busy shopping weekend as there will likely NOT be a chance of making up for it on the quick 4 inches in 2 hours overnight dump the next week.

But don't worry, I am working on the education of the clients.
    In any case, 25% is not enough for an extra $4000 outlay, again, with only 1 or 2 storms to try to make up that money. No way my clients will see the advantage for an $80 per hour difference. I can see it in a 20+ event average location.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  14. xtreem3d

another advantage to using the Kages (at least for my company) is reduced salt needed to melt lot after pushing. a std pusher will ride on it's shoes with no "true" downpressure,
    steve

15. 04chevy2500

04chevy2500 Senior Member

so would i be able to use the 9' box attachment with a 9' ss blade that i already have? can i just get the tabs that hold the box on and the sides?

16. Kristin Stephan

Kristin Stephan Sponsor

Weeded- Again to fairly compare prices you need to compare the price of a blade and a pusher to our system as it is an angle plow with the SnowKage attachment :)

xtreem3d- very true, good point!

04chevy2500-Yes you can purchase the SnowKage with Boss brackets to fit on your existing skid steer blade:)

17. 04chevy2500

04chevy2500 Senior Member

does it matter the brand of the plow that i have?

18. Kristin Stephan

Kristin Stephan Sponsor

04chevy2500- The only plows that are compatible with our system are the Kage Blade, Boss and Falls. The main thing that the plow HAS to have is a trip edge vs moldboard. A person could possibly fabricate there own brackets for another plow however I wouldn't recommend it as it would void the warranty.

19. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

What the price on a 14' loader model?

20. Kristin Stephan

Kristin Stephan Sponsor