1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Instant Amber

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Joe Snow, Nov 24, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Joe Snow

Joe Snow Senior Member

Okay, you guys got to me regarding light color. Last thing I need is some extra attention from :gunsfiring: the authorities. In Iowa, only school buses run clear.
    The Vertex strobes I installed are clear. I decided I better go amber just to be safe. Rather than replace them, (this is either going to sound McGyver redneck) I got an orange sharpie and evenly colored over the plastic dome. The sharpie says colorfast which is a good thing. The dome now looks a bit darker than the amber turn signal bulbs. Turn on the strobes and if you're close to the vehicle, they're orangish white but anything they shine on, is a nice amber color. The further you get from the vehicle, the more orange the flashes appear.

Now I'm legal and it only cost me 1-1/2 hours total for all four and $1.59 for the Sharpie.

Believe me, if this hadn't worked or worked but not very well, I wouldn't have posted this:p

:waving:

2. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

post pics and a vid lol

3. Redneck

Redneck Senior Member

Id like to see this!

4. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

i second that!

5. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

ok so where are the pics.

6. BORIS

BORIS Senior Member

i I HAVE AMBER ON TOP AND WHITE AND RED IN REAR TAIL LIGHTS. I HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH THE LAW. THEY DON,T CARE IF YOU ARE PLOWING. THE MORE LIGHTS THE MORE THE MOMS IN VANS SEE YOU.

7. THEGOLDPRO

why you gotta yell?

8. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

lol............

9. BORIS

BORIS Senior Member

i don,t know. didn't know caps were on. i can barely run this computing machine. lol

10. Joe Snow

Joe Snow Senior Member

Picture

You can see a before picture by going HERE (bottom picture of post #2)
    and here's an "after" picture and a close-up...

vertex55.jpg

Vertex555.jpg

11. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

looks like it worked pretty good, how about a video lol

12. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

Its gonna work for a little bit but unfortunatly the bulb is going to burn up in no time if the marker doesn't wear off first. Strobe have high heat out put and need to disipate the heat and by having marker on the bulb that cannot be accomplished. It will work for awhile don't get me wrong but I wouldn't recommend doing this.

13. Joe Snow

Joe Snow Senior Member

These are LED's. I let them run while holding the assembly and it never got hot in the least. The LED's are set into the base. The dome is just a protective cover and it's plastic.

If these were regular strobes with glass strobe tubes, I would have never even attempted doing this.

14. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

anyone try this with Whelen bulbs?? I have like 6 clear bulbs and need some more amber bulbs and no clear bulbs

15. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

Oh then why did you call them strobes? lol. ok makes much more sense now.

16. THEGOLDPRO

post a video....

17. lowpro

lowpro Junior Member

The Sharpie trick work out? I'm thinking of doing the same thing to my amber vertex lights that are too canary yellow looking. Itching to bust out the sharpie. :eek:

18. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

! ! ! ! Friggin genius ! ! ! !

19. Joe Snow

Joe Snow Senior Member

Instant amber video

OK, here's a short video that I promised regarding the clear Whelen Vertex I installed that I went over with an orange Sharpie to make them amber instead of clear. What do you think?
    <embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i207.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid207.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/Radulator/Whelen%20Vertex/DSCF6200-1.flv">

20. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

Awsome !!!!!!!