1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Installing Western Install Wiring and Uni/Ultra Mount Question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by news913, Feb 27, 2011.

1. news913

news913 Member

Hey, just seeing if anyone out there can help me. I have gotten some info and it was helpful, however I have more information about the Western I am installing. Model is a Western 7'6" Pro(Model 60381) Unimount system. It is off an older F350, not sure of year think it was an 06 F350. I am going to install it on my 2008 F250. I DO have all of the old wiring from the old truck. I am wondering what I will need for the conversion. I believe I will need a new: Truck mount, Headlamp Harness, 3 Port ISO module. Is this all that I need or are there any conversions for existing parts that might be there. ALSO: It is a Unimount, would it be worth it to convert it to an Ultramount? I know of a conversion kit, is it universal to all trucks? Does it work well, or is not worth the hassle? I would welcome any information, thanks again, this site is a wealth of knowledge!

2. news913

news913 Member

UPDATE: I should also note that I do not have any mounts on the truck yet, it is bone stock with no plowing equipment on it yet. I did find that I have to use the conversion bracket (Part number 27170), because I have to put an ultra mount, mount on the truck because I can't find a unimount mount specific to my truck so I have resolved that issue. Any help on the other stuff would be great.

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

You are going to have some trouble finding the mount for the vehicle. As I understand you have to buy the uni-mount vehicle mounts in pieces and then weld them together yourself. What we do in this case is use the Quick Match on the Western website and find the compatible ultramount and then install an adapter. Not a nice option but it works. Then when you are ready for a new plow you will already have the ultramount in place. There too they will give you the numbers for the wiring and iso module etc for you truck / year / model. Chances are you will have to buy a converstion to make your plow into a three wire system from the old two wire. The old wires combine the lights and controls into one cable and then the power for the motor is on the other. The new iso module system requires a separate cable for the lights and controls. This could be costly, are you sure you just don't want to buy a new ultra mount plow?

4. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I think your best bet is like mishnick said. Ultramount with the asapter, as for the wiring I would by new plow headlights for an ulramount and a plow contol harness (plow side). THis way all the wiring on the truck will be for an ultramount. This way when you buy a new plow the truck is ready to go, plus if you sell your unimount you will have the adapter plus the wiring for either truck setup.

The reason for this is they don't make a wiring harness that will work witha unimount and also use an isolation module. Good luck!

5. news913

news913 Member

I am getting the plow for like $1500 bucks. It includes everything on the plow side, which I have to get the conversion kit for that to work with my truck. Do you think it is worth it to just look for an ultramount plow and just go with an ultramount mount for the truck? Is it worth it price wise? I know the seller of this plow very well and I know the plow was used a handful of times, it doesn't even have a scratch on it! I figured the conversion kit, which I have to see if it comes with the iso module is about 1100-1300 bucks, thats off of plow parts direct's site. I am also sketchy about using the adapter from the uni to the ultra, I read they are low to the ground and not so great. Thanks for the help fellas, let me know what you think.

6. mishnick

I would try my best to find a uni-mount vehicle mount, perhaps a used one that will fit your vehicle. I agree the adapters are low and stick out too far. But spend the money and get the 3 port isolation module & vehicle wiring harness because when you do finally get an ultra mount you won't have to change that part. For that price and in such good shape why not call Western and try to get a new vehicle mount, even if you have to pay someone to weld it together it would be worth it. Those plows often last fifteen years when used comercially. It would be worth it.

7. news913

news913 Member

Thanks mish, I have been looking everywhere, I can't find a uni specific to my truck. I am going to try and avoid that adapter as much as possible. I am going to get the 3 port and harness because, your right might as well get it ready for an ultra as that is the newer setup. I am not sure what you mean as far as getting a new mount...meaning an ultra mount? I am going down my buddies shop today and were going to look more into it. Maybe I can do something with the old UNI bracket off of the F350, with a little welding and monster garage type stuff, maybe that will work. I will know more later today and post it up.

8. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

They don't make a unimount for an 08 truck. They stopped making the uni around 03 ish or so. The unimount will hang low also. However if you get the adapter you can easliy take it off to regain groundclearence. The unimount will no tbe that easy to take the whole mount on and off, you will lose your groundclearence all year round.

Yeah I would reccomend on getting the ulramount mount for your truck and the adapter. Maybe a little more right now but when you switch plows it will be a breeze. Unless you want to make a mount yourself. If you do make it yourself I think th ecenter of the holes on th eplow need to be at 9.5 to 10.5 inches off the ground. Double check thta just going off of memory. Good luck

9. mishnick

Tony has a good point.... At least you can take off the adapter right? And you would be ready to go with yet another step toward an ultra-mount. And you could always sell the adapter after you upgrade because there are lots of people like you trying to get by for "just one more winter" on an old uni-mount.

I suppose it all depends on the price you will have to pay to make something work. Love the referance ot monster garage, I miss that show. Let us know how you make out.

10. news913

news913 Member

Thanks for all the help guys, hope everyone had a great summer. I have some new details is anyone could help with this project. I have the plow (7.5 Western Pro). I found out It is off a 2004 Ford F25. It is a unimount set up. I am going to get the adapter (Part Number 27170), and then I am going to get the Ultra Mount truck mount, which I THINK is (Part Number 31269-1), I hope that is correct. I am not sure if I am going to have any clearance or bumper issues. I would like to hear from anyone who might know what part numbers I will need as far as the headlights and the conversion for the wiring. It does have lights on it already and it is set up to go basically. I just want to do the conversion as cheap AND EFFECTIVE as possible. Any thoughts/ideas are welcome. Thanks!!

11. mishnick

Do you have any vehicle side cables at all? If not I would suggest going with the three port isolation modle system. You uni came originally with a relay setup which was OK but probably costs the same so why not go with the newest, simplest and most reliable option. How many cables do you have on the plow? Two or three? If you have three cables it is cheaper because you can leave the plow alone and only need the truck stuff. If you have only two on the plow then you have to upgrade to the three cable system if you want isolation module so in that case you might stick with the relays.

12. news913

news913 Member

Hey Mish, I have all the vehicle side cables and plow side as well. I have a 2 cable system on the plow. I do have all the wiring I need though, so I am wondering if I can just make it work by messing with it. Also it be nice if I could find a schematic for the truck frame mount (Part #3249), so I could see what I need to do in order to modify it so it will fit my 08, I'd like to save the money for now instead of getting the Ultramount mount and the converter. So if it's in reason we can make the adjustments (welding) we need to, if not then I'll buy the new ultra mount. Also what is the big deal with the ISO model, is it a complete necessary?

13. news913

news913 Member

ALSO: I noticed the mounts change for the 2004 model year. I don't know what model it was off of (early or late). I don't have any available parts numbers as their is rust on them. So now I am not sure if I am looking to be able to fit it up. I am going down tomorrow see. It seemed to fit up almost pretty correctly, so I am going to do searches on both instructions and see which one might seem to resemble the parts I have more correctly. The plow says unimount but the part number 3249 references a ULTRA mount for the model year 2004. AHHHH this is getting to be a pain in the a**!!!

14. mishnick

Here is a link to the exploded parts view of the mount you specified: http://library.westernplows.com/ddcommon/dd_pdf/pdfs/64556_052004.pdf
    But this is, as you said, an ultra mount so probably not any help to you. Tell us the year & model of the truck it came off of and the same for the target truck, we will see if we can identify what you have and what you need.

Isolation module is certainly not required. These old unis ran fine with the original relay wiring system. They are just a bit harder to trouble shoot than the iso module. The trouble is whether or not your headlight harness is compatible. Trying to make the wrong one work is possible but not easy. I would suggest that the cost of that one cable is worth the money to save the frustration. The headlamp harness connects to the relays so can be removed and replaced quite easily.

15. news913

news913 Member

The truck it was off of was a 2004 F250. It's going on my truck which is a 2008 F250. I have the frame mount but no damn part numbers are on it. I'm going to look again today and see what I can find
    I found the mounting instructions online for both brackets I had mentioned. That diagram was similar to what I have. Appreciate that mish as it was hard to find!
    As for the wiring, I'll cross that bridge when I get there. I do have all the original and plow side. Thanks again interested to see what you can find out!

16. fatboyNJ

fatboyNJ Senior Member
    from NJ

i have an adapter in central jersey i as selling for 200..its basically brand new...if your still looking to go that route let me know if you are interested

17. mishnick

From what I can see the uni mount listings only go up to 2003 but this one I am linking you to says 99 and up so perhaps this is it. http://library.westernplows.com/ddcommon/dd_pdf/pdfs/63243_032202.pdf
    There is a guy on the site who goes by B&B who is a uni master. He will know what will fit on your new truck, he might even have inventory to sell you.
    Let me know if this mount looks like the one you have.

18. news913

news913 Member

Thanks mish, that is the mount that I have, it matches up. Thanks again for the info, I am going to message that guy and see what he has to offer. I am going to start the project Thursday afternoon and see how far I get with what I got lol. I will update you and let you know, thanks for all the help!

19. news913

news913 Member

Alright!! It was a project but for the money and the money it will save me it was worth it. A buddy of mine and myself did some monster garage work but we got the uni on! Some grinding, cutting and welding later. We had to crate new brackets that mount from the truck frame rails to the sides of the plow mount. We took some angle iron and fabbed it up. They look clean. I have the mount on and ready to go. The next step is wiring her up and getting some juice to the plow and lights. I will post a few pics tonight tomm so you guys can check it out if yous want. Thanks Mish big time for the schematic and the advice. This forum is a vast sea of knowledge!

20. news913

news913 Member

Here are a few pics, I am going to ad more of the brackets we made. Just to give you an idea Mish, it came out pretty well. we have to do some final changes tho as I want more support for where the brackets meet the frame, because right now its just the two bolts that hold the bracket and the sway bar. We are going to weld sides on the angles we made and bolt them to the frame. Didn't think of it right away, we were kinda flying blind.
    I also added a pic of the plow, its clean as all hell! Can't beat that!!! CHEAP AND EFFECTIVE!
    http://www.plowsite.com/picture.php?albumid=1067&pictureid=6306
    http://www.plowsite.com/picture.php?albumid=1067&pictureid=6305
    http://www.plowsite.com/picture.php?albumid=1067&pictureid=6304
    http://www.plowsite.com/picture.php?albumid=1067&pictureid=6303