1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Installing Unimount on 1999 GMC K3500 HELP!

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by NickGB, Feb 16, 2009.

1. NickGB

NickGB Senior Member

Ok guys, so I finally found a bracket for my unimount plow.

When I get it home, I compare it to the pictures of the 1585 mount for my truck and notice a few differences. First off there is no top horizontal bar like there is on the 1585 and the side pieces are angled instead of square.

The mount I bought came off a 1992 Chevy K2500, so it should fit my truck since mine is the classic body style as well, but the bolt holes on the sides don't seem to line up quite right with the frame on my truck.

The top two pictures are my mount and the bottom one is the 1585.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So my questions are:

Will this mount actually fit my truck?

What's the best way to install this sucker? Take the bumper off? With or without brackets? Airbag?

Thanks in advance!

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

First of all, take it all apart, dont try and put the whole thing up in one piece. The bumper has to come off. Looks like your missing 4 pieces, the support brackets and the double plates and you will need them. Air bag wont be a problem and wont come into play. You might have power steering cooler lines inside the driver side frame rail, dont try and pull them out, remove the bolt holding the retainer clip and work around them. Easiest way to get the bumper off, follow outer wing supports back to frame and remove the 2 bolts on each side, remove the 3 bolts going into the bumper on each side of the frame, lean on the top of the bumper to roll it down, loosen the top and bottom bolts at the outside edge of the bumper for the wing supports, swinmg supports out of the way and pull the bumper off. Hang everything lose before you start tightening bolts.

3. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

First, can not see the side of the frame in the first picture.

Second I only see 2 photo's not three (your statement "The top two pictures are my mount and the bottom one is the 1585")

Third, if the bottom picture is the mount you brought, sure the side plate are not bent?

Try to get better pictures so someone can see what you are really talking about. Can not tell(first picture) if the side has an angle like the bottom picture

4. Crash935

The brackets on the outside of the mount are supposed to angled slightly (as seen in 2nd pic). Go to the install instructions and it will all be clear.

5. NickGB

NickGB Senior Member

Here's a "1585" mount for the 1988-1998 2500 and 1988-2000 3500:

[​IMG]

I also noticed that the back half of the mount I have has a crack on each side :(

Also, this thing hangs WAY DOWN on the truck!

6. NickGB

NickGB Senior Member

The install schematics are pretty hard to read, but it looks like they show a square corner.

7. Crash935

If its a classic body style it will fit, trust me. Take it all apart like i said, your going to have to adjust the spreader bar to the right height for your truck anyway and its alot eaiser to work with then. And if you dont have the 4 missing pieces that i mentioned, GET THEM before you do the install or down the road you will be doing a frame repair on the front of your truck.

8. NickGB

NickGB Senior Member

Where should I start looking for those pieces? Because they don't make the mount anymore I can't get them from Western, correct?

Also, the fact that this mount has stress cracks makes me a little nervous about using it.

Lastly, I really really don't like how far down this mount hangs from the truck. I mocked it up with the bracket adjusted all the way up and it still hangs WAY down. I'm thinking about selling this sucker and getting something else.

9. Crash935

I just check and the parts are still available seperatly, each lists around $24.00 each and can be ordered through a weestern dealer.

Are you sure the stress cracks are in the welds and not just the powder coating?

Are you taking in account that the air dam on the bottom of the bumper needs to be removed also and that will increase the height of the mount? The bottom pin lug should measure 9.5 to 10.5 inches from the center of the lug to the ground, if the truck is really riding that low in the front you might be due for some front end upgrades.

I always find that when people dont know how things really go together they get ahead of themselves!

10. twinman326

Here is the pdf that will help you install the mount to the truck

http://www.westernplows.com/pdf/13681_103103.pdf

As for the support brackets and the double plates #'s 7&9, # 8&10, you already have. But if you have the cooling in the frame (like I have) then you should have double plate # 8A driver side. The pdf is easy to read. Make sure you torque the bolts. The chart is on page #2. It tell you what kind of bolts
    and what torque they need to be.

As Crash935 mention about the front end being to low he is right. Your front end must be in good shape, or you will have major problems down the road. Don't forget you have torsion bars, stabilizers links, and shocks. Torsion bars can be adjusted only 1 1/2 turns. Before you decide to do that , check your shocks. If they are leaking or blown, change them to a better shock. Stabilizers links, check them also. One broke, change them both.

If the front end look good, on page #18, tell you how to adjust the mount for the height you need.

What kind of blade do you have? Pro?

Need help, just ask

11. twinman326

Forgot to mention, itf there is cracks around the weld, go to a welding shop or someone you know who know holw to weld, and have them re-weld the part in question.

Better be safe then sorry.

12. Crash935

No he doesnt, the mount he is using is the 1st and 2nd pics, the pic with the brackets is just an example.

13. twinman326

Sorry Crash, I thought it was his pic.......

14. 7879fordplower

7879fordplower Member

I just installed one one my 99 K2500 and the western guide was easy to read and understand, it took me an afternoon to install. It also looks like he needs the stop plates part #13. My were missing so i just made then from some 3/8 plate stock using the tow hooks as markers for the hole placement, just make sure they aren't to wide or the bumper brackets will hit them and you won't get the bumper holes to line back up.

15. Crash935

Good catch on those!

Hes right about the width of them also, to wide and it will screw ya when you go to put the bumper back on.

16. twinman326

I am wondering if he left some parts when or if he removed the mount from the truck he got it from?

17. NickGB

NickGB Senior Member

Yes, I'm 100% positive the cracks are in the metal, I can see light through them.

Excellent, I'll see if the guy I bought the mount from has the pieces I'm missing, otherwise I'll get them new.

When I say this mount hangs really low, I'm comparing it to other mounts. One of my tenants has a Curtis Hitch-n-Go on his K2500 and it's practically invisible compared to this thing.

I already have the Western Install Sheet, thanks though.

I have an 8' and a 9' blade, the 9' has been painted yellow :(

I have several welders and will weld up the cracks, but the mount should not have cracked in the first place!

I was planning on making the stop plates myself. The odd thing is, my truck doesn't have tow hooks.

To remind everyone what the truck looks like:

[​IMG]

It has 195,000 miles on it and still runs great.

18. NickGB

NickGB Senior Member

Ok, just went out and measured, I've got ~16" from the bottom of the framerail to the ground...not enough.

I think I'm going to try to get my money back, anyone have other suggestions?

19. twinman326

So, if the mount was on, your saying you won't have between 9 1/ to 10 1/2 from the center of the coupling lug to the ground? Maybe you can use a jack and temporary hold the mount in place to see what the real measurement is.

How are the shocks?

U can adjust the torsions bars from 1 1/2 to 2 turns on both sides.

U might need some weight in the bed in front or the rear axles.

Also check the stabilizers links. see if one is broken.

Mine is a 94 K2500 4x4 The front clip look just like your truck. Same setup on the headlights. The mount measurement is about 9 3/4.

I put in new front heavy duty shocks, and new stabilizers link. My left side link was broken.

Just suggestions.

20. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

the truck in the pic is a diesel. that and 190,000+ miles means the front end is sagged out. crank up the torsion bars, and alighn it. that mount sits low in general, but you should be fine.
    if you get your money back, then what. the truck will be the same height.