1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

installing times on a new plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mike9497, Nov 26, 2002.

1. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

how long do you think it would take to install a new plow on an F-250 SD.its a western pro 8 ft.i figured 5 or 6 hours.its still on a truck on its way here i`ve waited 6 days to get this thing

2. mpflood

mpflood Member

Depends on how good a mechanic you are.

3. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

10 years 5 with ford dealer 3 with gm

4. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Mike, I've done mostly used so the blade and stuff has been assembled. We did a few New Fishers at work and it took about 2 days with a ton of distractions. I think your estimates are close if you work straight. Try to use air it makes the job go much faster! Good luck!

5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

With two men, a real plus even if just for holding and position can be done in 4-5 hours. Shorter time if both are skilled. By yourself will likely tak a couple more hours. Take your time and work safely.

6. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Hey CT18fireman, Please e-mail me. John

7. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Last year I installed 6.5' Fisher Minute Mount snowplow on my '89 Toyota. I think it took me about a day or a little more to install and wire the plow. I remember that the bolts that holds the tow hooks was stuck and had to bring to shop to have it heated up a bit and got the bolts removed and then installed the pushframe.

8. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

8 hours total for putting used meyer AND replacing front truck springs on my superduty. Air is good, big drill/bits and a friend.

9. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

About a week in 1 hour increments... :D All in all it prolly took me 10 hours of dinking around, but that's including the dinking around, scratching my head and staring at stuff. I am pretty certain I could do it in about half the time if I was gonna do it again. Having your tools organized (not me) would be a big time saver.

10. iski3d

iski3d Junior Member

I just installed a new fisher on a super duty, dont let anyone kid you, its at least a full days work for two mechanical guys! no kiddin.

11. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

suddenly 300.00 for a quality install doesnt sound so bad.
    Dino

12. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

$300.00 quality install

Maybe $300.00 but quality install :eek: . But I wouldn't let 1 out of 10 install a plow for me. :nono: I've repaired more than I can count for piss poor workmanship.

I moved 8 BOSS (last yr.) solenoids that were installed professionally. The way they installed them they could & some did ground out if just bumped a little. I could go on & on & on as over the years that I've fixed problems on Meyer,Western & BOSS from all different Dealers that have jerks installing who don't have any common sence. And yes that's a very broad statement but it's the truth. :eek:

13. plowking35

from SE CT

Thats why you find a good dealer that will do a nice job. When you get the truck back, go over the install, and if you have any problem areas, have those addressed.
    If nothing else, at least have the dealer assemble the plowand head frame, that will save hours in itself.
    Dino

14. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Dino

Find a good Dealer ???? That's the problem I don't think any of them are, as installs goes :( . When you pay kids $30.00 for each install, that's what you get :eek: $30.00 workmanship. I'll do my own installs & fix all my buds as they always find there way to me.;)

I don't think it's my job to teach their labors how to do it right :rolleyes: as they are the pros.

15. plowking35

from SE CT

I have a very good installer near me, so I guess I am lucky. I also have a dealer I woulnt let put a plow on a garden tractor. So I understand your point. I have done my own, and have had plows installed, its just with time at a premium, its easier to have it installed.
    That being said this doesnt help Mike, he bought mail order and has to do the install.
    I think blade set up will take the longest, with the wiring a close second.
    Dino

16. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

It sounds like he can turn a wrench so it shouldn't be to bad for him.:)

Mike: Make it easy on yourself & READ ALL DIRECTIONS first ;) I know most of us hate reading directions but they did have some good suggestions ;) on how to install. Have fun it's not that hard to do,:waving:

17. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

well guys with my engine winch on the roof of my garage that helped a great deal picking the plow blade up.the western directions sucked so i winged most of it by taking pictures of one that was installed on a friends truck.the mounts for the truck frame were a pita.not much room under the hood for wiring to.but i started today at 12 when it came off the truck.the plow was done in 2 hours and the wiring and mounts for the truck took about 3 hours with help from my father.he is an electrician.he wires up manufacturing equipment giant circut boards that run stanley metal fab and a bunch of other things.15 hours a day for about 20 years now.the directions even stumped him so he winged it also.if we weren`t B SING i think we could of gotton it done much faster.but western needs to do something about those directions.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2002
  18. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Mike, I can't believe that you had a tough luck not only with the freight company, but with the Western instruction booklet. But it sounds like you went through it. Good luck with your new plow. :)

19. Brian Simmons

Brian Simmons PlowSite.com - Sponsor

I have installed quite a few plows and different brands and on average the ford f-250 should take about 6-8 hours to complete the install.

simmons156

20. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

My truck dealer's "plow mechanic" waffled back & forth with a salesman when I went there to have one installed. After 50 minutes of irritative waiting and inconclusiveness, listening to them discuss what could and couldn't be done, I told them "this is getting painfull for me, waiting to get a solid price and install time... looks like it's not meant to be here!" and I drove to a plow specialty dealer. The svc. mgr. spent much time with me explaining the product, how it would be installed, and even introduced me to the install mechanic so he & I could discuss any further specifics. Not once did they balk at my preferences. They both assured me of a quality install with no cobbing or boogering of things. Turns out they lived up to their word. Everything was in order and I was even given a loaner vehicle to drive for the installation day. So yes, there are mechanics and dealers around that have earned a good reputation for their sincere and quality efforts.