1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Installing Tachometer in an automatic

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by TracStr400, Jun 24, 2000.

1. TracStr400

TracStr400 Junior Member

I have an '87 3/4 truck with TH400. I want to install a tachometer on the dash but as far as I can tell my distributor cap doesn't have a special hook up on it like the older distributors. Is there a spot on it that I don't see or do I have to set it up differently. If I do have to do it different how do I go about doing it? I'd appreciate any help.

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

If you hava an EFI 350 or 454,the ignition coil has 2 2wire connectors on it.on set goes to the module under the cap,the other set is the power and tach wires,these are the ones you need.there should be a thick pink or orange wire and a white wire,the white is the tachometer -.T-tap it or splice it there or if you want a cleaner appearance or more weathertight spot,pull the ECM down from behind the glovebox and find the white wire there too.Good luck<p>----------<br>John D<br>

3. TracStr400

TracStr400 Junior Member

I have a 350 throttle body. Thanks for the info.

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

your welcome-did you get it working?<br><p>----------<br>John D<br>