1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Installing strobe on factory light switch

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Woodland, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

I'm not sure if other truck brands have this, but my chevy has a factory installed "axiliary roof mounted lamp switch". I want to use this switch to turn on my strobes. It's a two head system with a Whelen CS240 power supply. Instructions for the power supply call for a 10a fuse and a 15a switch. The lit. from GM says the factory switch has a 30a fuse under the hood and runs 12 gauge wire. Should I change out the 30a fuse for a 10a or 15a? I trust I wont have any issues with 12 gauge wire.

2. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

You can change it.

3. ChEc0

ChEc0 Member

I got 6 strobe lights total running off of my factory switch in my GMC

4. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

I'm not worried about the switch being able to power the lights, but rather will it supply too much power on a 30amp fuse if it should only use a 15amp?

5. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

Just go with the 15A to be on the safe side, it's not going to hurt anything.

6. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

I agree with Blueline... Change the fuse to 15 amp it will keep things more in line if you have any problems.