1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Installing Solenoid

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by hot_raud, Jan 19, 2004.

1. hot_raud

hot_raud Member

Thanks everyone for helping me diagnose my wiring problem. Everyone is in agreement that I need to install a second solenoid to run my Meyer plow's pump motor.

I got a solenoid from the parts store and plan on mounting it right next to the starter solenoid. Using the starter solenoid as an example, I see that I need to connect a heavy gauge wire from the positive battery post to one of the large posts on the new solenoid. Then, connect a heavy gauge wire from the other large solenoid post to the pump motor. Then finally, connect a smaller gauge wire from the plow switch to the smaller solenoid post.

If anything is wrong with this or I'm missing anything, please let me know so that I don't do more damage to my truck, the pump motor, myself and my wallet!

2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i think thats it unless you take it to your local dealer
  3. hot_raud

hot_raud Member

Thanks plowman...I put in the new solenoid as I described and it works like a charm.

All in all, the repairs I had to make today weren't too bad and not too expensive either... rebuilt starter $48 plus core, new solenoid $7.50. The worst part was the hour or so it took out in the cold weather with no garage - had to climb under the truck on my snowy dirt driveway - brrr.
  4. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Snowy dirt driveway? Should have got someone to plow it.
    Sorry. Couldn'y resist.