1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Installing problems Vxf 85 SS

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by condo plow, Sep 12, 2014.

1. condo plow

condo plow Senior Member
    from chicago

I need some advice on how my plow is acting I have 2 problems
    (This is not my first install. I have installed Meyer, western plows)

I installed a brand new snowdogg Vxf 85 SS on my 2000 dodge ram 2500 HD 4x4.

At first the plow was running good then right side plow I noticed it was stalling then would move. Then the left side started doing the same thing. No codes on the controller at all
    I went to go check guild level I notice I have a leak on motor side towards my grill in the black box. ( I am thinking I have air in the system ) I had the plow in v the guild level is at the threads of filling screw.

I went to go shut my truck off to my key out and my truck wouldn't shut off. I turned off my headlights and my truck shut off.
    I disconnected both power and lights at the plow started my truck with my key and turned off the truck with my key and the truck shutoff.
    I am thinking the problem is on the plow side harness or a bad relay. Tomorrow I will be uninstalling and reinstalling light truck side harness
    Thank you in advance

2. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

The hesitation part sounds like air in the lines that needs to be bled out. The electrical I can't help you with as I didn't install my own. If you get too frustrated (like I usually do), there is a dealer in Tinley Park (Central Parts Warehouse), or one in Northfeld (I forget the name, but you can find it on Snowdogg's website), that you can have straighten it out for you.

3. condo plow

condo plow Senior Member
    from chicago

There is nothing like doing your own install on a new to me system so when I have a break down in the middle of the night I will now what to do and not be shutdown IMO

4. JustJeff

You are 100% correct. I just swing a hammer real well, but not a wrench, so I leave that to the "pros". I just get too frustrated, start throwing ****, and end up taking it to someone else. By the way, I'm going to be getting a spreader in the next couple of weeks, how do you like your's? I was thinking of going with the 1.5 yarder as I don't know how well my truck will carry the 2 yarder. But I've been happy with my plow, so probably going to stick with Dogg for the spreader as well.

5. condo plow

condo plow Senior Member
    from chicago

I like it a lot the SPHE 2000 is more open inside the vbox most of the salt load sits befor my axle (6.5 bed) the SPHE 1500 the load sits between the axle and bumper

IMO it does not matter if our trucks can handle the vbox filled to the max.
    What matters is how much we put in the vbox.
    I only put about 3000 lbs in my SPHE 2000
    I won't buy a salt spreader that can only hold what I need to spread I like having a cushion of the vbox could handle more than I need to spread

6. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

That's the best thing about installing your own

And you don't have to wait inline at the dealer or wait for them to open

My problem is since I install mine and few other people stuff they break down they are calling me

7. JustJeff

I understand your thinking, but I actually like the idea of the weight being between the rear axle and the bumper as it will act more like ballast vs. weight, and take some off of the front axle. Last year when I had to drive on the Edens Spur to get to the city, that concrete had my front end going nuts. If I use some counterweight it may ride better with the overall weight being balanced more.

8. condo plow

condo plow Senior Member
    from chicago

On all the other brands of plows I installed the plow installation guide has details and diagrams for each step. Not this one it has what to do but not in detailed nor diagrams....

So can anyone advice me on my electrical? Did anyone have this same problem?

9. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

Not sure why your truck wouldn't shut off with the plow hooked up. I had problems getting the lights to work right on my 02 Silverado. Still don't think the turn signals are working right.

10. condo plow

condo plow Senior Member
    from chicago

I had to install 16071210 relay kit only for dodge 1500 99-01/ dodge 2500/3500 99-02

I installed with the instructions it came with.
    I just found a special bulletin where I have to change the brown wires to ground? Not to park light?

11. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

You are going down the same road I went. I am not familiar with dodge trucks so I won't be much help to you. I have some video of me installing my plow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct8qKSAqGAc&index=3&list=PLZwy_pK9cqiOJag2itlQzMm-xJPeCTPp7

and some changes to the wiring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJAoyRYscrc&index=6&list=PLZwy_pK9cqiOJag2itlQzMm-xJPeCTPp7

12. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

The brown to ground thing is in the headlight adapter instructions (16071120INST rev D) - but it's easy to miss for a first time install. Yes, the brown parking light wires go to ground. Dodges are flaky (electrically) in general, so that could very well be your problem.

Make sure you've got the 16071210 Rev D instructions as well. This is the only truck that requires that kit because of a ground loop.

Alternately, try finding a new source for your switched power. That can cause some strange behavior.

Brand new plows are filled and cycled at the factory, but often not enough to fully bleed the air out. There is a small vent on the center block above the motor. You can get some oil leaking out of that during startup. It should stop.

13. condo plow

condo plow Senior Member
    from chicago

After I connected the brown wires to the ground my plow stopped working properly while the truck side and plow side lights are connected. The plow is acting like there is air in the system. But when I unplugged the lights the plow works as it should. There is something wrong with the plow/truck side light harness. If this doesn't get fixed soon I will be returning the plow. I need a tech number to buyers

14. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I have only installed one Snow Dog and it was a pain
    On you electric problem not sure But I would remove all and start over each time you hook a wire up see if truck will start once it doesn't start then you will know what wire it is

15. condo plow

condo plow Senior Member
    from chicago

That problem is already fixed new problems has occurred. Read above

16. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

Your dealer is our first line of support - they might be worth a call.

That said, Monday morning give us a call at 866-974-3644. Jim can help you out.

At our plow training the first thing we tell dealers to do is step back, count to 10, and go through the instructions again. If your lights are affecting your hydraulics, than something is definitely miswired and you're backfeeding.

There isn't that much wiring to do, so the options for what is wrong are pretty limited. With the way the harnesses are built and tested it's highly unlikely they are the problem.

1. Did the dealer get you the correct headlight adapters?
    2. Re-read the manual for "switched ground" installation. Top of page 9.
    ---Red/white (ignition switched power) to Gray
    ---Black (ground) to Black/White and Orange
    3. Brown on headlight adapters to ground
    4. Make sure you've got good power on the Red/White wire - I've seen those hooked into headlight circuits, etc.

Give us a call Monday and I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of it pretty quick (if you don't figure it out before then).

17. condo plow

condo plow Senior Member
    from chicago

Thanks Scott I will give yous a call on Monday. Tomorrow I will be uninstalling light harness and reinstalling just to make sure but I did have a personal buddy that does plow installs. And he concord that something is wrong with the light harness black box where the 6 relays are. And no there was no power in the red white wire. Once we got the plow working with light harness unplugged the plow works great but when we plug in the light harness the plow would work real slow like there is air in the fluid.

18. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

OK - that's a good approach.

Something to think about. The red/white wire under the hood is the same red/white wire in the cab that gets hooked into switched power. It's what powers the controller. If you're not getting power at the red/white wire under the hood, than maybe that splice is broken. I've never seen it - but certainly a first time for everything.

Also - I would suggest you get everything working WITHOUT the 16071210 relay and THEN install it. That will eliminate another potential issue.

19. condo plow

condo plow Senior Member
    from chicago

Your 100% wright I am going down that same road. I get to fix one problem then another one occurs. I get the plow working great by itself then when I plug in the light harness everything goes hay wire. Don't know why buyers don't keep the two wire harness separated. I am getting to the point to forget the instructions and just run the plow lights on rocker switches.

20. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

They are seperate, the ground and power are shared for convenience only. You can easily isolate them. We'll get you sorted out. As quirky as the dodges are, there are thousands of them wired without issue.