1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Installing pro wings: weld or bolt? cutting edge position?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by GripTruk, Jan 3, 2011.

1. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Like the title says I'm going to be installing pro-wings on my Ultramount 7 1/2 foot pro plow.
    I am feeling like I'd rather weld it than bolt it but I'm wondering if anyone has any reason I should bolt instead. To me, it's probably faster and easier to weld the brackets than to drill and bolt 8 holes. I just have to grind a little paint off and I'm good to go. I figure I'll clamp the brackets on like in the instructions, test fit the wings and then tack weld the brackets on, drill the hole through the mold board, test that out and if all is well then go ahead and finish the welds. I was also thinking of running a heavy angle iron or U channel between the 2 ribs on either side of the pin to reinforce that rather than just relying on the big square washer they give you in the kit to spread the load.

I've also read a lot about mounting the rubber cutting edges and debating about whether to mount them so they sit against the front of the plow or butt up against the edge. I'm a little torn and my research hasn't really swayed me solidly in either direction. I do know that it sounds like I'll be replacing the stock edges after not too long. I was also thinking of alternative materials like UHMW, like the plastic cutting boards are made of. The rubber seems good for making sure the trip action is not effected though.

If anyone would like to post pictures of pro wings how you mounted your edges that's really the big debate I'm having right now so I'd love to see what anyone finds they like (or didn't like!)

Thanks a lot,
    -Jer

2. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Not sure if I have any up close pics, but will look.

3. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Thanks a lot snocrete! Very thorough response, I really appreciate it, especially how you have tried the exact things I thought of, saves me some leg work.
    The only other thing that I'm trying to figure out is how to line up the wings so they best fit the contour of the plow, it seems like you couldn't really test fit it be because you won't be able to push it flat against the plow until you drill the hole for the pin.

-Jer

4. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

I also was wondering about what people think about this...
    The instructions say to mount the brackets and locate the center pin based on that,
    But I've seen some people post about mounting the center pin first and then locating the brackets based on that.
    I think I'll probably go with the standard method but was wondering if anyone prefered it the other way and why...

-Jer

5. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Got the wings today and played around a little bit between work and dinner.
    So far just played around with measuring the brackets and getting them where they look even and close to what the direction say.
    I have them clamped in place where I want them. Now I have to make some kind of jig so I can pull them off, grind the paint down, and put them back without having to figure it all out again so I can weld them. I didn't have my drill with me so I wasn't able to drill the hole and swing the wings back yet so I wasn't really able to test fit the edges yet but my initial feeling was that I wish they were perhaps 3 inches wider.

6. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

I seem to be the only one on this thread, but oh well, hopefully it will help someone in the future.

I got it all installed tonight, rushed it a bit because it's supposed to snow tomorrow morning and I wanted it to be ready, so I skipped the step where I was going to reinforce behind the plow with some channel. We'll see if I find it necessary.

I wanted to mention something, though...

I DISAGREE WITH THE INSTRUCTIONS ABOUT DRILLING THE HOLE THROUGH THE MOULDBOARD!

I think they kind of it backward the way they say to drill the hole tangent to the outside of where the pin hits the plow, this makes the farthest outside part of the hole right where the edge of the pin hits, but as it swings through the hole it swings farther OUT, so it needs like another 1/4" towards the outside of the blade. I'll see if I can draw this up, but for now, think carefully before you drill that hole through the face of the plow!

-Jer

7. 78W200

78W200 Member

I know you already have them on but I bolted mine on. The only reason was so I could take them back off if I got a new plow (which I did). Also the rubber edges don't last long at all,I ended up replacing mine with a 1/4" piece of aluminum that is the same size as the rubber.

8. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Picture of the truck with the wings mounted

So, here's a picture of the truck in a lot a I just plowed with the wings. They really make a huge difference and I am very glad I finally got them. They really make a big difference when you have obstacles on both sides and you need to push straight, like at gas stations. In a standard lot the extra width just makes it so much quicker and with much less spill off. I was always so concerned about drilling and welding on my nice plow but it was totally worth it!

-Jer

plowwithwings.jpg

9. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

The only problem I had with the wings was that rubber cutting edges jammed with snow on top, I guess they folded forward a little bit and as a little snow got in the top it allowed room for more snow which opened it further and so on. I know some people say to use some flat stock as sort a backing plate to squeeze the rubber edges tight against the wings, I don't know if that solves this problem or if I need 1 or 2 more bolts higher up. I guess I'll try just the two bolts with the flat stock first, I'd prefer not to have to drill more holes.

-Jer

wingjam.jpg

10. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Yes add the flat stock, it works great and you'll reduce the risk of pulling the carriage bolts through the edge.