1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Installing Plow yourself?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Bry@n, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Bry@n

Bry@n Senior Member

Is it hard? I am reasonably intelligent and very handy. Have plenty of tools and then some. Do I need a electrical engineering degree to accomplish this?

I have the plow (8'2" V), just bought new truck. Dealer wants over $1k for a harnness and push plate installed. I can get a harness off of Ebay for $150 and hopefully get the push plate for $300- $400 and be save almost $500.

Looking for advise and maybe snags I should look for along the way

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

It's not really all that hard to do your self

As for the wiring, The hardest part is figuring where it's going to go(routing). lol

Get the push frame together on the truck, bolted together loosely before tightening any bolts.

3. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

Just did mine about a month ago. Not tough at all.
    As long as you have all your parts and wiring layed out its pretty straight forward. Like SnoFarmer said laying the wires out took me the longest amount of time. But nothing to be concerned about, just takes time running through the firewall/engine bay/headlights/and grill.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Chevy's are cake. Just remove front end, install mount, route and plug in wires. You need metric toolsand SAE tools. We figure to do a Boss right including fit, finish and clean 4/5 hours.

5. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape Senior Member

Just put a new undercarriage on my 06 DODGE CTD and while it wasn't hard, it wasn't as easy as my Chevy last year. You will have to drill 6 sets of holes on the dodge. 4 of them are 9/16" (two of which have to go through both sides of the frame) and 2 of them are 11/16 (both go through each side of the frame). I did this one with the front tires on and the truck jacked in the air, but I would recommend taking the tires off if I had to do it over, just easier to drill on that way. Wiring was straight forward and there are plenty of open grommets on the firewall to run wires through. Chuck
    One more thing... cash in a favor and have a friend help you. You need to remove the front bumper and its easier when someone can hand you tools and help hold parts. =o)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2006
  6. Bry@n

Bry@n Senior Member

Chuck,
    Thanks for the advice. I will let you know how it turned out.

7. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I did my 87 chevy about 5 years ago. It took me about 7 to 8 hrs by my self. I could have cut that in half if I had help. the hardest part was finding a spot to mount the celinoids and finding a spot to cut the firewall for the wireing. I'd do it again, especially for $500.

8. fastby250cc

fastby250cc Junior Member

Just installed a Boss 8'2" last weekend on an 02 2500HD, we assembled the plow and then started on the truck. The truck went pretty smooth and the only slow down was to route the wires up and out of the way. Boss included some different battery post connectors than I got when I did my straight blade last fall. They are like thick washers that appear to fit into the rubber cover on the + and - terminals. These things were a pain in the rear with temps just cool enough for that rubber to be kind of hard. The truck has fog lights so we had to cut a lot of the air dam out or remove it, we chose to cut it. Used an air saw that cut it like butter!

9. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

Bobcatservice

I just had everything transfered to my new ford. I went to my boss dealer and paid 300.00 for mounts and wires. I used to do auto body work earlier in life now i got spoiled and lazy and will not take things like this on. Yes it can be done, if i can afford to pay a pro i will. Mess up one thing and have a problem first snow then you can balance how much you saved.
    Mike