1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Installing Plow on Tahoe

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by doomxz670, Oct 24, 2013.

1. doomxz670

doomxz670 Junior Member
    from 45459

I have a 04 tahoe thats my daily truck and a 2000 F150 Reg Cab LB Manual Transmission v6 that has 11k miles that has a 7'6 Boss Straight blade on it but that truck just is miserable to drive i was thinking about putting the plow on my tahoe i have a bracket already because i was looking for a silverado but can't find one the problem is the tahoe is AWD with 4Lo option. Will This work for plowing or do i need something with 2hi,4hi,4lo?

2. road2damascus

road2damascus PlowSite.com Addict

How much plowing are you going to do? Do you know what transfer case you have? Is the plow a sport duty? Do you know weight of plow? Does Chevy or boss recommend any plows for the awd tahoe?

3. doomxz670

doomxz670 Junior Member
    from 45459

Its a standerd duty steel plow, the plow is recommended for 4x4 model they don't have a option for awd vehicles as it was fairly rare on a tahoe. the front gvw is 3925 and boss suggest 125# of ballast. i dont know which model tcase it is i just know its full time awd with a option for a normal 4lo

4. road2damascus

road2damascus PlowSite.com Addict

Here is a quote I found, on plowsite, about a smaller gm truck\van. I cant say yes or no to go forward with it because it wouldn't be recommended. Then again, how many of us follow recommendations fully???? Most everyone will agree its a better idea to find another vehicle with 4wd or just use your truck. Awd usually has weaker components than 4wd. You run a higher risk of breaking stuff and I am sure parts will be much more costly on awd. It would also depend on how much snow you are pushing and the duration of the time you are doing it. I could plow my driveway with a awd mini van with no problem. But it would break doing five driveways every storm.

"The AWD transfer case on the 97 Bravada is a Borg-Warner 4472. IT is a very stout t-case as it was also used in the Cyclone and Typhoon rigs. It is also used in the Astro and Safari vans through the 1998 year. I plowed snow with my 1998 Astro AWD for 6 winters and we average 170" of snow. I also wheeled it at Paragon Adventure Park for a year before swapping in the NP231. The case was then sold to a guy in Finland and is still working perfectly!"

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  5. doomxz670

doomxz670 Junior Member
    from 45459

If I were to use the truck in 4lo when plowing would that not take awd out of the picture and be okay?