1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Installing plow myself?? (newbie)

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by tilelayher, Nov 20, 2004.

1. tilelayher

tilelayher Member

1st thing im new, thie board looks pretty cool. I'm looking at a meyer's ezmount st- 7.5 or boss standard duty 7.5. Probably gonna install myself. Is it doable? I'm a pretty knowledgable guy rebuilt engine in one truck, change my brakes and all that good stuff. lowered vehicles before, i can weld and i know alot about dc electric. I was just wondering if anyone had an online install guild they have put together for installing the meyers or boss. the plows for personal use mainly.

Thanks for any tips, your guys all seem pretty cool
  2. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome ,, Dont know what truck your Putin it on but it is really a straight forward install.. If your buying a new plow then it will come with directions that are easy in my opinion. I have installed around a dozen plows on varies trucks and it never seemed to difficult to me. The wiring isnt that hard either , mostly just unplugging and plugging in harness connectors.. let us know what kind/year of truck and if its a new plow or not for some better help/ideas...
  3. intlco

intlco Senior Member

I installed a Meyer Classic Mount 8.5 Poly 10 years ago and it was easy. The blade came with all instructions, only the plow lights on the chevy were a little difficult at first. Just get a chiltons manual for your model truck and it will have a better wiring diagram.
    Also, get some anti siez and put it on the classic mount front tubes before installing them or you'll never get them back out.

I've also installed several fisher mounts, even made some new style conventional mounts with no problems.
    Personally, I don't know how some of these dealers take over a day to install plow, and they complain about so many problems. I think they just want to make it look harder then it is.
  4. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

You can probley handle it no problem. You don't even have to weld, mount is just bolted to the frame. Some additional holes may need to be drilled in the frame, but not always. Wiring is mostly "plug and play" splicing is required in some cases on some trucks, it usually involves the turn signal lights if at all.
  5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Are you doing personal plowing or some commercial work also?
  6. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Generally if you install it yourself you are going to take more time and do it right when you own it. As long as I am able, I will always install my own plows.
  7. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Kind of a bold statement.
    EVERY plow I install is done better than my own,I won't have it any other way.Thats what the customer expects and thats what he gets.
  8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I would have to agree with Arc Burn. There are people that take pride in their work and they are the ones that have to warranty it. If you put it on yourself you will have a little more knowledge how everything works and where to look if there a problems. Bad Luck just had a post of his Fisher install with quite a few good pictures. Take a look at that.
  9. Tarkus

Granted I have not seen your work but I have seen others and some of it is pretty poor especailly when it comes to the routing of wiring and such. Personally I want to know what it holding it on and know may need to be "watched" or rechecked for tightness every season or what might need to be shimed a bit for a better fit too.
  10. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

tilelayher - YOU CAN DO IT!

Seriously, I just installed a Fisher MM2 on my Silverado and had no issues at all. And whatever you need help with just ask and we will lend a hand. Like these guys are saying if you buy the plow it will come with step by step instructions. It will take time (I did mine over two days, total of about 7 hours I think) but I learned more about how they work than I ever knew before. There are a few steps where it might help to have someone help you out, like when mounting the mounts, but only because to hold a 30 pound mount in one hand and bolt it with another can be rather cumbersome :dizzy: other than that you'll be fine on your own.

The one thing that helped me out was before I even opened the boxes, I read each installation manual a few times so I knew what I was looking at.

Oh, and the best part about doing it yourself, once you're all done, standing on your bumper yelling WOOOHOOOO!! It's a great feeling of accomplishment.

Good luck bro. :salute:
  11. tilelayher

tilelayher Member

You cant see what kind of truck I have by lookin at my avatar?? J/K Its a Ford f250 superduty 03'. If its meyers its gonna be a Ez-Mount Plus or a Boss Standard 7.5 either plow will be new because buying used ur buying someone elses problems half the time.

BADLUCK- I saw your install that was awesome. I dont have access to a lift. Where in jersey are ya? I'm 20 minutes from the Walt Whitman Bridge. Whered you get ur fisher plow from and what did u pay??
  12. Tarkus

Yes do not dump out all of the parts first if you have never done this before, READ THE MANUAL FIRST!!
  13. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You can get the install guides and manuals online at a few sites.
    Like Myer or whoever makes the plow.
    If you can wrench/wire you can install it yourself.
    I pay good bribes like a case of beer (after the job is done)for a torch (also tank refill) and an operator. If it's an older truck you will have to flame wrench some bolts off.(bumper)
    I had some buddies come over for muscle help, the wife cooked a nice home cooked meal and we had some beers later on and it went well both times.
    Get your bolts from an industrial fastener supplier,grade 8,they are a lot cheaper then Myer or another supplier. Use dielectric grease on all plug in connections.
  14. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Thanks man.

I'm 20 minutes west of NYC in Little Falls. Isn't the Walt Whitman bridge near Camden? I also have a house in Bayville if that helps?? I bought my plow from CPW and had it shipped to the shop I work at. It came in at just under 3,400.00. You won't need a lift with your truck. I had to drill holes and drop lower valences to install my plow, not necessary on your truck.

From the looks of your truck you could do better than a 7-5 ST Meyers. What kind of plowing are you going to do and what draws you to Meyers and Boss? Also what engine is in your truck and what is your front axle weight? I might be able to help you out.

I tried PM'ing you but for some reason I can't. E-mail me at: ac_sab@yahoo.com and we'll talk. :nod:

15. intlco

intlco Senior Member

I too have had several trucks upfitted with plows and bodies and all the work I've seen done is very poor in my opinion. When I got back my new Silverado from the Dump body upfitter, they had put a dent in the hood and drivers door, the paint on the body sucks, and it is already pealing.

The other truck I had upfitted last year by another place was even worse. They cut up the frame by mistake, screwed up the gas tanks, and destoryed the underbody boxes. I ended up takin it somewhere else to have new boxes installed and repair the filler necks.

Half these places don't care about how they treat your truck. Every guy I know says, it's just a work truck, so why do you care? They leave the windows down and get the truck filled with dirt, get the seats covered in grease.

Ones thing is for sure, I'd never have ABC sell or install anything on a truck. They are the worse, most dishonest body company I've ever seen. They don't even respect their customers. They have the worst attitudes I've seen.
  16. Tarkus

Yes and don't you just love it when they act like they are doing you a favor by even working on your truck?
  17. intlco

intlco Senior Member

Yes your right!! They think that you should accept anything they do cause their doing your a favor by working on your truck.
    I'd rather do all my own work then let some unexperienced fool touch my rig.

And half these places are now hiring HS Students to work on trucks. Especially the tire shops. I won't even let someone put tires on my truck.

American Car Care Centers was doing an aligment on my 98 Chevy Dump and they dropped it off the lift.
    After this, I went out and bought my own tire machine and balance. The last time I let someone touch my new truck. I'll put my own tires on.
  18. jpunlimited

jpunlimited Senior Member

you can do it!

the reason I installed mine is to minimize rust in the future I never start a job without a can of under coat, semi gloss black and anti seize goop. however their is something to be said for dropping it off and picking it up with a new plow attached in one day. then you can chase the under coat at half time.
  19. Tarkus

This is true but also to know where all the mounting bolts are too because they tend to loosen up on new installs after use for a while anyway until everything is seated good. I check my mounting bolts every year at start of season.
  20. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I check the bolts monthly in plow season on the plow and the mount. But I have a 14 year old eager helper too.

Speaking of not caring:
    I ordered 2 outside ribs for my Husky plow at a local supplier.
    They say they will call. Two weeks go by, I stop by and ask.
    Oh thanks now I have to run the garage heat so I can repaint it >(