1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Installing plow mount?? HELP and suggestions?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by wkahler, May 27, 2008.

1. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

I recently traded for a mount for my new truck. The guy traded me my bracket which was 100% put together for his that was not. Is it easier to but it together before i have my buddy install it for me or should i wait and let him do it?? He is normally used to installing brackets that are already assembled, so i was going to buy some bolts and put it together then have him install it. It is for a 2001 F-250 powerstroke. Also someone told me that i have to get some type of adapters for the wiring since it came off of a Chevy, is this true??

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

You'll need headlight adapters for the wiring harness, which you can go to your local boss dealer and they'll hook you up with that adapters you need. They might be able to get you some bolts for your mount too, but it is pry cheaper just to go to TSC or something and get some Grade 8s'. Anything else you have a question on or did this cover it?

3. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

I think your in the ball park! Can i order the adapters online? The local dealer just had a fire and i think his shope is down for a while!

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You need to install the mount one component at a time or you'll never get all the bolts or holes lined up.

Plus you'll need to mock the push beam up on the truck to get the correct mounting height for your application once you have the side plates on anyway. If you pre-assemble all if it you'll just be wasting your time as you'll need to disassemble it anyway to set the height correctly.

You may or may not need the head light adapters depending on which head lights your truck has. The Boss harness will plug directly into the HB5 style lights after your remove the GM adapters that still might be left on the harness from the last install. If your truck has the 2B style lights then you'll need a set of adapters...Boss p/n MSC04599

5. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

Sounds like i might want to let a dealer install it?? Maybe just pay them the money and move on...........Just need to get things done so that i can move the plow out of the farmers way in the barn!

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

That would have to be your decision basing it on your mechanical abilities of course.

It's not a difficult job if you have the tools and take your time as well as having a little understanding of the mount install and wiring procedures would help as well.

If you do decide to tackle it yourself don't hesitate to ask for help. :)

7. fordboy

fordboy Senior Member

Its not hard to install just takes some time, you wont need any adaptors for your ford as long as you have the composite headlights

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Thats what I said. :D

9. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

Well what kind of tools are really required? I have basic tools but i am lacking a jack for the big truck and also no impact wrench just mainly hand tools!

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

In addition to the basic hand tools you'll need a good 1/2" drive drill and a sharp 9/16" drill bit. A bolt puller or a way to weld a few of the fasteners to a piece of small dia rod in order to fish the plate bolts through the front of the frame horns if you don't have the original Boss bolt kit. A floor jack and an extra set of hands to help position the mount components helps a ton too.

And of course the install instructions helps a bunch as well. :)

11. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

yeah looked at the directions today..........think it is beyond my scope!!!

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Better to know that now rather than later. :)

13. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

Yeah exactly!!! Well what is the average install time for a professional??? I talked to the local plow shop and he told me $60 per hr and it would take 8 hrs????? Seemed a little long......not that is to do the wiring and the mount install.............Am i getting taken for a ride? Maybe he was just shooting high so that in case something comes up unseen or something!?!?!?

14. fordboy

fordboy Senior Member

640 is crazy! I would say normal price should be around 300-350 to do it complete. hell if you were closer i would help you do it if you bought the beer!

15. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

8x60 = $480 ;).............LOL who's bought you the beer tonight!!!! So i guess it is not all that bad!!! :drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:

16. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Does that guy do Boss plows? Sounds like he is quoting book time. I haven't done too many Boss's but have Fisher's down to 3-4 hours depending on drilling.

I have done 3 in a day in the past.

17. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

He mainly does Hinker but also installs other plows. He is well know around here and was told that he has done many for my other buddies so i am confident that he knows what he is doing just not sure of the time frame!

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Should take a MAXIMUM of 4 hours on a Super Duty if he's familiar with ANY brand of plow mount and wiring in general.

19. nobletousha13

nobletousha13 Senior Member
    from VA

just makin sure guys, does he have a 11-pin or 13 pin??

20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Good point Noble.. if it's an 11 pin harness and the application does requires the adapters for the HB5 style lights, he'll need the MSC03449 adapters instead of the 13 pin MSC04599's like I previously mentioned.