1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Installing plow mount and wiring

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Calvinslawns, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Calvinslawns

Calvinslawns Member

Hi Everyone,

Hoping everyone is staying safe while plowing. I am interested in buying a plow and installing it (the mount and wiring) myself. How difficult is this? I would be looking at mostly boss plows.

Thanks in advance,
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

If your mechanically inclined and have the tools,,,not to bad.
    If your not, then, well, hard.
  3. sota

sota Senior Member
    from NJ

I can only speak from doing mine (western suburbanite) but the wiring bits weren't painful, the major assembly part was straight forward (except for me being an idiot and skipping a step, and having to take it half apart again to fix that mistake,) the only issue with it was the manual that came with the plow was for a 3-port pump and mine was a 4-port. A quick look online found the right manual though. It was only the vehicle-specific frame that gave me hell. it was welded together badly so things weren't lined up correctly. I had to eventually cut it apart, line everything up, and re-weld it together. YMMV of course.

I'd do it again, but then I've been told I have more balls than brains, so take that for what it's worth. :D
  4. Calvinslawns

Calvinslawns Member

I'm pretty mechanically inclined and have plenty of tools or a reason to buy a new tool. I just have to keep my eyes out for a frame that fits my truck now.
  5. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Guessing you mean iso when referring to 3 or 4 port and not the pump. Also I would of returned the mount if you had to cut it up to get it to fit. Something is seriously wrong there.
  6. sota

sota Senior Member
    from NJ

I said pump, and I meant pump. There's 4 hoses on my plow. they changed pumps or at least valve bodies a couple years back but for some reason the install manual that shipped with mine wasn't the updated version.

as for the mount... I went back to the shop and he pulled out 3 more... all 3 were as bad or worse. I'm thinking what ever jig they used sucked. muscling it didn't work and drilling new holes was out of the question, as I have something else that uses the same holes, but on the other side of the frame horn.