1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

installing plow headlights

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by cward05, Sep 20, 2004.

1. cward05

cward05 Senior Member
    from CT

Hello everyone, I recently bought a pair of snowplow lights off ebay. My question is a quick and simple one, should I use dielectric grease on the open wires to connect them to the truck wiring? Also, it comes with a new toggle switch, but can I just keep the old one if it is working? If there is anything else I need to do to make it a quick, easy, and safe install, could you let me know since this is my first time doing electrical work? Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2004
  2. grotecguy

grotecguy Senior Member

Use good quality connectors to make your splices. I use the heat shrink type. One type has actual solder in a heat shrink sleeve. You heat it up with a small butane torch and melt the solder and heat shrink the splice at the same time. There is also a "liquid electrical tape". You brush it on to the connection after soldering the wires. It dries in a few mins and makes a weathertite seal.

Do it right and do it once,
    Mark K
  3. cward05

cward05 Senior Member
    from CT

problems with signals flashing

Hello, I ran into two small problems, but other than that, the plow lights work fine. The turn signals on the plow lights will not flash. When I had my old plow lights inspected at a garage, and as I recall, the guy took out the flasher. Where is the flasher for the plow lights located? I have a 7 1/2 foot fisher plow with belt driven hydraulics. Also, when I flip the toggle switch, the truck lights won't turn on. I have 2 wires on the plow lights that are white and blue that are not being used. I only have a yellow wire connected to another yellow wire. Thanks.
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2004
  4. cward05

cward05 Senior Member
    from CT

anybody willing to help a guy out?

Any takers? I want to get this project done so I can start working on replacing the hoses on my plow and refilling the plow pump before the cold weather sets in...Thanks for any help everyone.

5. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Marker and turn signal light wires should just be spliced onto the approperiate wires on the truck lights. They use the trucks flasher to work. If they end up flasking too fast replace flasher with a heavy duty one.

If the lights came with a double pole/double throw switch, you will need to locate the low and high beam wires(should be on the left inner fender) Cut the wires, place the switch in the plow position,turn on low beam, connect the low beam wire coming from the fire wall to the wire that lights the low beams on the plow( wire will be a middle wire on switch). place the switch in the truck position and connect the wire that bis now hot to the low beam wire going to head lights. Low beams should now work. Repeat process for highe beam....
  6. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member
    from Maine

The wiring diagram is available on the Fisher web site. Check it out... it will save you a lot of grief.

Good luck.

Jeff Pierce
  7. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

The flasher should be to trucks flasher under the dash. Often the trucks flasher will not handle the extra load of another light. So you will have to swap out your flasher with a heavy duty one....Rob