1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Installing New Style Cutting Edges

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by DozerMan, Dec 24, 2010.

1. DozerMan

DozerMan Junior Member

I have a Boss 8'2" Poly "V" that is about 6 years old. It has the newer style lights and RT3 mount. I am switching over to the new style cutting edges with the curb guards and rubber shoe delete.

I went to install them tonight and it looks like I will need to cut the "triangle" at the inside part of the moldboard? The cutting edges won't lay right if I don't. The steel that you mount the cutting edges to has poly that goes over the last few inches toward the center of the blade. It looks like it needs to be cut straight across just like the rest of the moldboard. Is this correct? If so, what did you guys use? I was thinking a Dremel or angle grinder with a cutting wheel. Thanks.
  2. mvhauler

mvhauler Senior Member

That is correct. Used an angle grinder on the one at work. Tlhere should have been instructions on this that came with the new edges.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

All you need to do is lay the edge across the piece that needs to be removed. Then mark it. Remove the edge then take a angle grinder and cut along the marked line. Then just above where you made the cut drill and tap a hole and bolt that corner down. If you don't bolt it down ice and snow could build up on the back side of the poly skin and cause you more problems than you want to deal with. Once that is done just bolt the new edges on and go back out plowing. Don't forget to use a little thread locker on the bolts.
  4. DozerMan

DozerMan Junior Member

That's what I figured. They didn't give me any instructions, just the hardware and edges. Thanks for the replies.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

When I had my old vee, and got the new style edges they didn't give me any either. I honestly don't think they make instructions for doing it.
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Merry Christmas. :waving:
  7. Jewell1386

Jewell1386 Senior Member

I had to weld a piece of steel to one of my edges was not touching when i closed the blade and had a 3/4 inch gap when in straight or angle you may have the same issue. It is ok to weld to the edges just have a bucket of snow or a bag of ice to take the heat out of the edge immediatly after you are done welding it on or you will end up makeing your edge briddle