1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Installing new strobes

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by StonewallFarms, Aug 26, 2007.

1. StonewallFarms

StonewallFarms Member

I have an 06 GMC 2500 hd crew cab, and just ordered the 90 watt wheelen kit and switch from strobesnmore.com. I know some basic wiring skills, is this something i can tackle on my own or should i have it profesionally installed?

2. gmcsierra1500

gmcsierra1500 Senior Member
    from CT

No problem

With some basic wiring skills, and after reading the directions you should have no problem, i have done a few whelen 90watt kits and they are pretty simple, the hardest part is finding a good spot for the power supply and switches

3. StonewallFarms

StonewallFarms Member

placement

where did you end up placing the switch, i have the brake controller by my right knee, was thinking up in the console above the rear view mirror may be a pain to wire.

4. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi StonewallFarms
    I did both my 01 and my 05 Chevy. I made a plate to cover the upper compatment in the overhead. Had to drop the headliner to wire up the switchs but it works well. I also install the power supply under my rear seat, drilled a hole in the floorboard for all of the cable's to exit it out of the cab. You will need to run the power and ground all the way back to the battery. Doen't know why the ground has to go all the way back. I just know when I tryed to run the ground off the cab and then the frame it would work. After several calls to Whellen Tec support we figured oit it needed to be run all the way to the battery. I ran all of my wires in wire loom and lots of band tie's. I have pictures if you would like me to email them to you.

Good Luck Mike

5. StonewallFarms

StonewallFarms Member

yea if you could send the pics that would be great! thanks for your help

6. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Send me a quick email
    flykelley930@aol.com

Regards Mike

7. gmcsierra1500

from CT

switch location

I located my switchs in that same overhead compartment, after i made a custom switch panel to fit that location, In terms of running the ground all the way back to the battery, my power supply is located under my drivers seat cause i have a reg. cab, and i grounded right to the bottem of the cab on an existing bolt.

8. gmcsierra1500

from CT

9. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

10. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

wow just like a "how to book" step by step ... can you make one for strobe lightbars .... i could use it .. for mine ... LOL .... good work ! ..

11. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

The strobe light bar should be easier. If you want to send me one I can install it on my truck and make a new better how to post.... xysport

12. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

playboy - Hmmmm??? .... do i get it back ????.. LOL

13. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Stonewall, are you on Cherry Street in Shrewsbury???

14. StonewallFarms

StonewallFarms Member

i take it you know the area, and yes near there

15. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Rack up a few more posts so you can send and receive PM's. just go into like 10 different threads and post something stupid to get your post count up. Thank you will have full access to the plow site.