1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Installing Myself - Halfway There!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Plowbie, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Plowbie

Plowbie Member

Well even though I picked up my used Meyer setup 6+ or so weeks ago I'm finally getting the time to attempt putting it on. Had to round up what I needed for nuts and bolts,etc on a budget. If I ordered what I needed from Meyer it would have cost me close to $200 for just nuts and bolts! I think I probably spent $15 or so at local hardware stores. What I saved in cash I took on in some risk though that all my hardware was going to spin up in the frame rail when I tried tightening it down (the Meyer stuff is designed not to spin). I asked on here though what people thought as well as some others and most felt with an impact gun it would snug up before having time to spin.
    That all worked out, all is tight. :)
    Without an impact gun forget it. Just the burrs alone would have started it spinning with the nut only halfway on the bolt.

Had to use my imagination though to get it all done without help. Using a floor jack to hold up the mount was a lifesaver. Using wire to fish the 10 bolts through the frame was a great help. Some of the bolts ending up being to long for the mount to fit over so they had to fished out and new ones put in.

Overall I'm pretty pumped though. I love figuring stuff out myself. Takes me 10 times longer than having someone else do it (i've now missed two storms already) but the satisfaction is great.

Well I'm gonna attempt the wiring tonight which is one of my stronger talents but I'm sure something is gonna screw me up. Wish me luck! I'm gonna be nervous as heck when I make the final connections and try it. Nothing worse than doing a ton of work then nothing happens when you hit the button!

Couple pics attached.
    Chris

plow1.jpg

plow2.jpg

plow3.jpg

2. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

keep the faith and I am sure everything will work out. If not ask on here I am sure someone can check their setup and provide you in the right direction.
    goodluck

3. Plowbie

Plowbie Member

Well got it done. Some stuff absolutely drove me nuts but felt great none the less.

plow4.jpg

4. GreatPlains

GreatPlains Junior Member

>> Nothing worse than doing a ton of work then nothing happens when you hit the button!

One thing worse - it can spark and smoke!

Looks great! Congrats on doing it yourself. Lots of satisfaction anytime you can figure it out and do it yourself.

5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

One of the big advantages about doing it yourself is you know how most of it works. When something goes wrong you have an idea where to start looking.

6. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Exactly, to save money I basically rebuilt my E47 myself, so I know how that works, and I completely fabricated my entire frame mount by myself, so I had complete confidence and knowledge of that as well.

PS, now that I know how the e47 works, i don't really like it. I understand it, but I think it could be better, and I think all Meyer pumps work the same way, if I'm not mistaken.

-Jer

7. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Looks like thoese tires are on upside down.

8. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

huh????????????

I am so confused by that statement.

9. Plowbie

Plowbie Member

Not sure what he means by the tires? :confused:
    Maybe trying to be funny?

Its definately true about doing it yourself then knowing whats wrong with it to fix later. Although whats wrong with it later is usually because you did it yourself :nod:

An example of little things that drive you nuts...
    I wanted to do a nice job mounting the joystick in the dash.
    Just a simple hole in the dash and slip it through right?
    Well turns out the plastic dash had a metal backing to it. But not over the entire hole I drilled, just half of it, and it wouldnt just drill out with the hole saw. So two hours later of drills, sawzalls, the works I finally got it to feed through. Lets just say its a good thing the mount plate is as big as it is because NO ONE needs to see whats behind there. Not a pretty sight :p