1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Installing MM2 on Chevy 2500HD How Hard?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Mental, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Mental

Mental Junior Member

Introduction...I'm from Bangor, Me and I work at a Mental Hospital. I found this cool site while doing some searching for information about installing a MM2 plow an my 2005 Chevy 2500HD, and thought I would ask the question here.

:help: I am about to get a plow for my truck, is this something that the average do it your selfer can handle? Any hints, tips or things to look out for during the install? :help:

Thanks in advance,
  2. tkrepairs

tkrepairs Senior Member
    from maine

how much of this type of work do you normally do? do you do all your own repairs? i do all the maintenance on my truck and friends vehicles - oil changes, trans fluid/filter change, fuel filter, ball joints, wheel hubs, brakes, u-joints, axles - anything that doesn't need welding or programming, or really expensive specific tools. i installed a fisher on my truck and it took a couple hours.

all you need to know is how to run wires neatly, how to splice a few wires for the headlights, fish wires through the firewall, and cut the front air dam for the push plates. grill removal makes like easier. it wasn't really hard, just time consuming.

if you can handle some basic wiring and simple disassembly/reassembly and as long as you only work there..... you should be all set :)

one other thing, you buying new or used?
  3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

First of all, define average?

This is something that is going to invole more than a hammer, screwdriver and a pair of pliers. IF you are not mechanically inclined and dont have a large set of tools (or dont have buddies with the same attributes) then your probably best to have someone else do the install.

First thing i would do is go to fishers website and print the mauals for the blade, electrical and mount and read them, if they make sense, your half way there.

Second thing, recruit a buddy for the day (offer beer and pizza). Your first install usually takes a day and a second set of hands and mind are usefull.

Again, read the instructions and ask any questions that you may have BEFORE you pull the truck in and start tearing into it.
  4. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

I did mine myself and it took about a half hour for the mounts, and that's really only because I was being picky about cutting the plastic. The wiring took a couple hours, but it really shouldn't. I got a module for a different truck. Mine was for the neg common headlights like yours.
  5. SteveJ

SteveJ Senior Member

If you're buying new, have THEM install it. Most shops usually only get another $300 bucks. For that money, it's not worth the hassle. (some heavy beer drinkers may disagree:realmad:) If you're buying used and plan on doing this yourself, make absolutley sure you know what you're getting into otherwise you may become a patient where you work.:dizzy:

And I agree with Crash935.

6. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

SHHHH, dont tell him the mods have him under obsevation to make sure that he really does work there and isnt an escapie.
  7. Mental

Mental Junior Member

I am buying a used plow last years model with the newer style headlights..

I do a lot of my own work, (vehicles, bikes, house stuff) so I am mechanically inclined. I have been to Fishers website and have some downloads, haven not read them yet only skimmed through them.

From what I've seen so far I am going to attempt this (Note to self: get friend). I don't have the plow yet, hopefully this weekend.

8. saabman

saabman Member
    from Maine

The blade and the headgear are heavy, so you need something (or a helper) to move them around. Other than that, nothing to special or difficult. I put a new RD on my 97 K1500 this fall. I spent the most time figuring out where I was going to run the harnesses, mount the isolater, and penetrate the fire wall (and I wired for dual batteries at the same time).

An often overlooked value of doing the install yourself, it is makes you more familiar with the entire setup. This can be an aid down the line when something goes wrong.
  9. blizzard G

blizzard G Junior Member
    from detroit

I agree with saabman, I just put a new plow on my 2003 2500HD, the dealer I got it from really tried to talk me into letting them put it on but I wanted to get to know my equipment. After I was all throw I was so glad I did it my self, yes there where some times i had to scratch my head especially after they got me the wrong year truck side mount ( bolted on but was 1 1/2'' to short -light bar was hitting the front bumper), than the wrong headlight adapters ( high beam lights were on all the time) that's when all the head scratching happened. I feel confident that if I have a break down know that I can fix it. Also one more thing, I was showing a friend my new plow ( Blizzard Speedwing - 860 SW) and he was impressed with the install job and asked How much? How long? and Who did it? I told him FREE, one week end ( only because I was very picky and only worked on it a few hours at a time ), and I did it, then he showed me his plow install. Lets just say it wasn't very pretty, lots of wires every where and unprotected, and his was done by a reputable dealer that installs them for many local car dealerships, SCARY! So good luck.