1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Installing Marker Stakes

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BossPlowMaster, Nov 24, 2013.

1. BossPlowMaster

BossPlowMaster Senior Member

Having a few questions... I have been putting off buying these expensive little orange fiberglass stakes that everyone uses to mark objects and driveways.... now that the ground around here is pretty much frozen is there any tips you have for putting them in this late in the season? Drill? Or even any ideas of cheaper stakes/ways to mark objects.
    THANKS

2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I buy them from the vendor on here.

I made a little tool similar to the one they sell to install them.

As far as now that the ground is frozen, jump on the tool harder or hope you get a couple warm days to soften things up. If the temps stay like they have been and it doesn't warm up again by the time you order stakes and they arrive you may be in for a tough time installing them with that much frost in the ground.

3. BossPlowMaster

BossPlowMaster Senior Member

Thanks mark,
    I checked fleet farm and their pricing on stakes is $1.89 per.... dont know if i really have time to wait for the ones on here to get here.... lesson learned.

4. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Get way more then you think you need no matter where you get them from. 50 seems like a lot until you start marking properties and suddenly your out and you don't feel like you got hardly anything done.

5. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I mark/stake every property with fiberglass orange stakes and use a #2 Phillips screwdriver and mallet to drive the screw drive into the ground when it's hard. A drill may work too but never tried it.
    I'm paying $.49 ea when I buy 100 or more, plus shipping.

Like Mark said get more than you need and plan on 12-15% of them not being there in the spring, they disappear or get damaged.
    I put out about 500 a year.

6. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

I use long screwdriver to bust through the frost. Then i have a 1/2" 3ft pipe with end cap on it i slide down on top of the stake andn use it like a slide hammer

7. Mike NY

Mike NY Senior Member
    from zone 5

Hammer drill with a 3/8 masonary bit.

8. perrysee

perrysee Senior Member

use a cordless drill with a masonary bit works good

9. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

Where are you buying them for .49 each?

10. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

11. mikeplowman

mikeplowman Senior Member

i have also bought 1/4" stakes from angelos supply. they are not bad, little flimsy, no reflective tape BUT you cant bet the price 100 sticks for like $50. i also just bought 100 - 5/16" reflective stakes from menards. they were on sale for .79 each and they are durable. i also use the iron pipe w/end cap to drive my stakes down in the ground. i cut my pipe to 3'6"ish and then slide it over the stake and then slide the pipe up and down to hammer the stake in the ground, once the bottom of the pipe touches the ground I AM DONE

12. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

13. mark268

mark268 Member

Angelo's, Mill Supply, they both have them at .50. Last night Angelo's did not have orange if that matters.

As for installing them, I made a tool out of steel rod that I can push into the ground, although a screwdriver works very well too.

14. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

They may appear flimsy but they’re pretty durable and don’t break providing they’re allowed to flex. I personally don’t see the need to have reflective tips on them especially in a driveway or parking lot. I plow a couple miles of private road and still don’t see a need. The way I see it, you should know the layout of the property you’re plowing, the stakes are to define hazards and the boundaries of what you’re plowing, plus you’ll lose 12-15% season to Gremlins…….
    What Angelo’s sells does everything I need for a very reasonable price.

No Problem, that's what we're here for.Thumbs Up

15. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I've used a cordless drill and a long masonary bit in a pinch. Worked great until the bit caught a rock and sheared off...

I hate the ones without the reflective tape, orange is all great but they are so skinny they are hard to spot in the dark when you are over tired... I may have to take some time next summer to tape every damn one of em!!! lol

My favorite stakes are homemade. They are 1" diameter flexible solid plastic... tho I wouldn't recommend hitting them with something too soft lol. I bought them at a farm auction, 60 of them for $10... they were used rods from a grape harvester. Used my circular saw to cut a point on the end and crudely painted them orange with Rustoleum. Used red 6" wide reflective tape across the top... you can see these things from about a mile away lol!!! $10 or so for a can of paint, $10 for the rods... tape was free, leftover from a 1000ft roll from the Coast Guard when they blasted and painted a boat, they were tossing it out--prob 100 ft left. Not counting my labour and the cheap saw blade it killed, they were very very cheap and effective!

16. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

Cordless Dwalt, 10" long bit, drills right through frost and most gravel.

17. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

I use 2x2 wood stakes. I took a piece of square tubing, cut a point on the bottom and bolt it to the side of the plow. I drop the blade and the weight makes a hole for the stake. Sometimes I have to whack it with a sledge a few times but it works good for me. Or an ice breaker bar. Used that before too.

18. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

What are you plowing with, a grader?!

19. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Most has a free supply and all kinds of time to drive them in.

20. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

Well, When I first encountered a site that I needed staked, I had all kinds of 2x4s lying around so it was much cheaper to rip them in half and throw some orange paint on them and call it good. As time went on I just kind of did the same thing then replaced them as needed. Then I painted them all one color and stenciled by business name a phone number on every one of them and it's advertising. I've gotten some calls from them so they've paid for themselves. I collect them in the spring and store them.