1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

installing driveway stakes

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bob ny, Dec 14, 2012.

1. bob ny

bob ny Junior Member

when installing driveway stakes along a drive do you put the stakes at the edge and plow the snow up and around the stakes or do you allow room to put the snow by moving the stakes back on the lawn? .Also a customer has a spring along side the drive with a blind ditch to control the water which runs all winter. When plowing the drive snow over the ditch it seems to block the water causing the water To enter the drive and freeze. Salting only increses the frozen area, sanding makes a mess on the white stone drive, THE DRIVE IS 200 FEET LONG SO SHOVELING THE SNOW OFF THE DITCH IS OUT OF THE QUESTION, CAN NOT RIDE ON THE LAWN TO CLEAR THE DITCH. WHAT I HAVE BEEN DOING IS TO BRING A SNOW BLOWER AND CLEAR THE DITCH AFTER I PLOW BUT THAT TAKES TIME AND TIME IS MONEY PLUS I HAVE HAD OTHER CUSTOMERS SEE THE BLOWER AND WANT ME TO DO THIER WALKS AND STEPS ALSO . INSEAD OF 30 MIN. NOW IT IS 1 HOUR AND I CAN'T CHARGE DOUBLE bob w.

2. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

Have the homeowner lay a 4" roll of drain tile through the ditch. You can buy plastic tile in 100' rolls fairly cheap. This way you can push the snow wherever you want and the water can still run through if it needs to. May have to secure it every few feet so it doesn't move around and lose the fall but overall it should be pretty simple.

3. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

Great idea. Wonder if he can push the snow to the other side instead of the ditch line? Pics make answering questions like this SO much easier.

4. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

I don't understand why you can't charge for your time.

Here's a recent discussion about the exact same stake offset question:
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=140425

5. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

If you can't charge them what you'd like for extra work tell them you can't do any more work.

6. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Drain tile isn't going to help if the snow is keeping the water from getting to it. As stated above, plow to the other side if possible.

7. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

use hard pvc pipe because it will not crush under snow weight and you should be fine with like some 6 inch diameter pipe

8. bob ny

bob ny Junior Member

9. downtoearthnh

downtoearthnh Senior Member

I would say that the driveway is a PITA and unless you have a relationship with the owner, or need the work, you should re-think whether there is anything other than aggravation involved with this job. Choice should be made on that basis as to whether to continue, or sign up an easier driveway.

10. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

If it were me, I'd see the owner looking for someone else to deal with it.

11. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

If there's no other way around then charge more for the time it takes. It's really that simple.

12. BucklesIX

BucklesIX Member
    from US

I put in contracts damage to lawn soil and grass or non permanent property in the plowing path, is not liable for damage. Sometimes their is zero way to prevent some damage to the lawn with a plow and truck. If they don't want damage they need to hire a snow blower, or get their own equipment. If I have a relationship with the customer, or they are old or unable to fix it, I give them a discount on the labor for repairs, but they pay for all materials and labor. If they are that picky, or that ignorant about the technicalities of snow plowing, you don't want that job