1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Installing Buyers Pro Wings - Which way is right?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by BGehl, Nov 24, 2010.

1. BGehl

BGehl Member

Hey guys,

I am installing Buyers Pro Wings on my 7.5 Western Pro. I bought the plow used and the previous guy had wings on and all the holes seem to line up.

But i cant tell from the instructions or from other guys pic's how to put in the cutting edge. Is is supposed to be completely flat against the wing and go behind the main cutting edge of the plow? Or it is meant to bend or fold and go on top of the main cutting edge?

I'll see if i can post a pic or two.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  2. BGehl

BGehl Member

here are some pic's

0847 is flush with the wing, i think i would spill a lot of snow
    0849 show how it would overlap, but i am not sure if the rubber cutting edge is meant to bend that way

0850 is a pic from the instructions which seems to say it is folded but the instructions are not clear. the whole install instructions are here: http://www.saltdogg.com/Instruction Sheets/3009152 Rev. B.pdf

DSC_0849.jpg

DSC_0847.jpg

DSC_0850.jpg

3. firefighter1406

firefighter1406 Senior Member

I bent mine and put it in front of the cutter edge. If not you will be leaving snow. Also I would recomend putting a @ inch wide piece of 1/8" steel across the front of the rubber, and bolt the rubber on that way. Once you tighten down the bolts in just the rubber it would not take much to rip it off if you hit something or are backdraging. I will get a pick for ya.

4. firefighter1406

[​IMG][/IMG]

Allright, I thought I had a pic of the piece of steel but I guess not, sorry. But here is how I mounted the rubber, and basically I used the piece of steel a couple of inches longer then the spread on the bolts and use it like a big washer. I hope I am giving you a good idea and not rambling on.... Hope this helps.

5. BGehl

BGehl Member

thanks for the response.

Did you have to score the rubber to make it bend? I am not sure how to pull it in. . .

so the "big washer" is not in this pic. when you do have it mounted that way, would it be visible from the front?

6. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

I put mine in front of the edge as well. Make sure when you line up the holes the wing is in all holes or it will be off. Its not that hard to bend either when you put them on.

7. firefighter1406

I had the bolt go through the washer and then the steel. Yes you would see it from the front You can't see the washer very well in the pic because the rubber let's it suck in to much when you tighten it up. If you are having problems bending the rubber, just drill the hole run the bolt and tighten it down, it will conform to the cutting edge just fine.

8. housesoccer

housesoccer Junior Member
    from 46304

Hi, I realize you have already installed these by now. We had a lot of questions when we installed ours. The directions are a little lacking. At first we bent the rubber and put the corner in front of the main cutting edge. We thought this was the way it appeared on the directions. After plowing a few lots the rubber slipped behind and was short of touching the ground because of the angle it now had. I called Buyers and spoke with thier engineer. He suggested we slide them to hange behind and next to the main cutting edge. He also reccomended what we had suspected, that the bolts need to be reinforced. So we cut a strip of metal and squared out a hole with a file to accept the square carridge bolt head. If you don't do that the bolts will be short. After using the wing rubber this way on a few snows, it trails behind and leaves a snow strip.I read someone suggesting a firm piece of metal behind the rubber to keep it firm. What sucks is with all the changes we have to make I might as well made them from scratch. I realize they are inexpensive, but come on.
    I have to re-adjust them so they are lower. Might as well start with the rubber sticking down a bit so it will wear to ground level.

9. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Pro-Wings are nothing more than a raw kit of material. They fit probably one plow out of the box without having to really alter the raw material. But honestly the bolts fit nothing - it's always a weld job and a cutting job.

So, with that said ..... You have to play a bunch with trying to get the correct working angle of the metal wing itself. This then sets the path of the rubber. The rubber they supply is junk and will tear much sooner than you think. Go to plowrubber.com and get some conveyor belt material and it will last and hold forever. 1/2" is much better than a solid brick of 1" that tears.

If the rubber is not forward and overlapping the cutting edge it will fold back and tick you off. WE've had to weld angle brackets to get the correct pitch.

Good luck - it's a rough job but when they are done right the results are worth it.