1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Installing back up lights

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by turbo38sfi, Jan 16, 2007.

1. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

2 questions on installing backup lights.

There is a pig tail (blue wire) that is located and tied to the trailer hitch plug. Is that for backup lights? I checked it for power but am seeing nothing. Is there a relay or fuse that must be installed?

2nd question is on the rear bed light...is that harness easily acccessible?

This is for an 06 Silverado.

Thanks,
    Joe

2. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

i just installed them as well. Here is what i learned and what my take on things was. Yes their is a wire you could use, yada yada yada, but if you think about it, would realize you dont want to just use these for reverse. Wire them up to a switch so you turn them on and off at your disposal. They are nice for loading up, hooking up a trailer in the dark, lots of other things.

3. JPMAKO

JPMAKO Senior Member

Joe

I believe that the center wire in the trailer plug is for reverse lights, at least it is my 2003 and 2007. Just use a test light to determine which one has power when pushing the pedal down.

The roof light wires are tucked up underneath the headliner.

Hope this helps

Jason

4. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

I believe you are correct. There is a schematic on the cover to the trailer plug. You meant put it in reverse, not step on the pedal, but I knew what you meant. I would like to wire these up on a relay so that they are on a switch..either full off, on with reverse, or on with the switch.

5. scaper27

scaper27 Member

I just quick connected mine to the reverse light wire. They are self grounding lights

S3500145111111.JPG

6. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

mine are done in exactly the same way in the exact same spots

7. scaper27

scaper27 Member

they worked for years. I hit them in the snow all the time. The come right back. Sometimes the wire will ice up and come apart, but what are you going to do. The lights are like $9 a piece

8. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

i did thr lights like that on my last truck and wired them into the reverse ligts, and they sucked balls, think about it, there are 2 wires, a power and a ground, lets say for instance the lights are 55 watts a piece, and requre 12 volts to perform to their max, there is no way that little ass backup wire is pushing enough to power those lights to their potential, they are usually dim, and weak, sure the work ok, but they are not bright by any means.

now take for instance the whitenight backup lights i just bought, they have 3 wires, a power,ground, and a signal wire, the power you run to the battery for a constant 12v,the ground that self explainatory, and the signal you run to the backup light wire.

now not only does it have that constant 12v, but it also does not put strain on your backup light wire to try and powe them, i have read all too often of people burning up their wiring by doing this.
    here is a pic for reference of how bright the whitenight is, i challenge you guys who have the tractor lights on the back, that are wired to the reverse wire for power to post a pic of yours and see if they are brighter.
    [​IMG]

9. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

oooohhh can I play? I added reverse lights to my Toyota. the directions they came with said "just tap into the reverse light wire already back there". When For shizz and giggles. I checked the volts at the stock reverse lights. only 10.25V each. Lovely salt corrosion was dropping the voltage, no way they could handle another set of 55w'ers. There is a huge difference tapping into versus running a seperate power wire and setting up a relay.

I set mine up on a 3way switch. On-Off-Relay (to revese lights). They normally ride in the relay position, but I can turn them off if I choose, or more importantly I can blast the as-hole BMW'er behind me who thinks high beams are perfectly acceptable to drive with as long as there is no one coming towards him.:gunsfiring:

10. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

thank you that just further backs up my claims, not to mention most people (not all) who wire them to their backup lights will splice both lights together, and tap just the one reverse wire, so that means your powering two lights with just one small 10V source.

11. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

That is how I was thinking of doing it. Just using the relay to "signal on" but having a constant power source wire. Has anyone tried the + power in the trailer harness? It should be a larger guage wire than the backup wire provided.

BTW, not all BMW drivers are a**holes. I've had one since 2000!

12. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

wow no one said it yet. if you want its the light green wire in the extra little harness in the middle of the bumper area.

but also check voltage and make sure its good.

13. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

Pretty sure that is the wire I was asking about in my first post..it's tied up to the trailer plug harness and is solo.

14. Little separate wire is for Center Mounted Stop Lamp (CMSL) or something like that. It is separate cause it is not standard to a 7 pin harness.

If you want to run off trailer harness plug, use the center pin (reverse) to switch your main power (big red wire at rougly 1 o'clock position looking at it from back of truck...facing tailgate). Use a relay. Thats gonna be more available amperage to your lights than what the tiny factory reverse wiring is gonna alow!

Note, I had to install a big fuse (30Amp large style) into main fuse panel under hood at postion #1 to energize the red battery feed that I mention. This fuse typically comes wrapped up in factory supplied brake controller harness.