1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Installing an X-treme V myself ... few questions

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by PLM-1, Dec 2, 2006.

1. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

I am in the process of ordering my plow. I went with an 8.5 Xtreme V. Does anyone have a pic of the mount on an 04 GMC 2500HD? I don't really want to cut anything. It seems like I saw some pics a while back where they just trimmed that little lip on the bottom.

Also, is there any tips on installing a plow in general?

2. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Tips on installing:

Take your time and read the directions. Plows are pretty easy to install on Chevys. Plow frames go on with no holes to drill. Wiring will take the longest. Take the grill off to make your life easier. Pay close attention to your headlight relays, they can be a pain sometimes. Some Chevys have a grommet in the firewall others don't. I have ordered plow prep on my last 4 trucks and none of them ever had a grommet, so I drilled a hole with a 1" step bit. Oh yeah mount your soleniod as high as possible. I always use the short brace, next to the brake master cylinder. I'll take a pic if you want it.

First time doing this will take you about 4-5hrs at most. I've got it down to about 3 hrs, which may seem slow to some of the expert installers, but i'm picky on how and where I run my wiring.

Good luck, need any help just ask.

3. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

Any and all pics would help me a ton. A pic is worth a thousand words! THANKS

4. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

i just installed my first one as well this year, not to bad, took about 3 hours or so. Be sure to protect any wires that will rub on the holes going through the fire wall. Make the solenoid accesible quickly. and just take your time. the instructions are kind of hard to read, If your not sure ask on the board, someone will help you.

5. Earthscapes

from WNY

Took some pics today i'll upload them tonight. I'm little busy pushing right now.

6. Earthscapes

from WNY

Here's where I mount the soleniod, theres already a nice 1/4" hole there. No drilling required :)

[​IMG]

This pic shows some of the wiring. The positive cable goes in the red box and the headlight relays are mounted high to keep them dry.

[​IMG]

If you need larger pics pm me and i'll email them over to you.

Keith

7. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

Thanks a lot. Those will come in handy! Anybody know how much trimming I should have to do on my GMC? What is a good tool to cut/trim with?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2006
  8. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Is it really worth saving a couple hundred bucks? Will the dealer still warranty the plow if you installed it? just wondering.

9. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

With the harnesses the way they are and such plows are easier to install now then ever. The old belt drive systems took much longer and then we had to splice almost all the wiring. Even the old electric pumps took longer. Now you just plug stuff in for the most part.

The plow manufacturere will warranty the plow, if you are competent in following directions there should be no installation problems to warranty.

10. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

I saved $700 on the plow plus $425 installation and 200 miles ... shipping was $225 so i saved $925 ...I think it's worth it.

11. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

I don't think it is myself, I myself would be worried about warranty too. you get a bad pump, the first season there goes all you saved by installing it yourself, if they don't cover you.

12. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

Full factory warranty.

13. Brian Young

Yeah I'd say so!:D Do you have a Fisher dealer close by? If so ---SWEET DEAL! Watch the cutting edge! My Extreme V has less than 8hrs of plowing on it and its worn down almost an inch!!!!!! Not good. If you can swing it, look into the curb/shoe kit, I gues its supposed to save your butter stick (cutting edge) from doing what mine did. Hopefully Fisher will step up and do the right thing and warranty my pos cutting edge.

14. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

The closest Fisher dealer is about 200 miles, which is also the distributer. It took them 4 days to even call me back with a quote. What's the price on the shoes?

15. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

I just got to thinking about installing the trip springs. Do they come preloaded or do I need a spring compressor? I asked the dealer if I needed any special tools and he just said larger wrenches/sockets. True?

16. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

The plow blade should be preassembled including the springs. You should just have to pin the a-frame on. From what I understand the extreme comes with the harness already on the powerpack and the hoses on the cylinders as a package. At least that is how the dealer explained it to me.

17. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

Sounds A++++. Thanks for the info!

18. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

Pretty much got everything done. My controller and fluid were backordered. The only thing i have left to hook up is the keyed 12V inside the cab. Is there a good location to plug in this wire. Something maybe in the passenger side wire box? That's where my clearance lights just connected onto a pin.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2006
  19. Brian Young

I would try and find the ignition switch and wiring for that.

20. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

I was thinking something along those lines. My only deal is not being very "find wire savy".