1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Installing AirLift air helper springs- Anyone have them?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by MrCarlson, Mar 12, 2008.

1. MrCarlson

MrCarlson Junior Member
    from MM

My 97 F250 suspension needs a little more help. I purchased the airlift front spring kit and plan on installing it this weekend.

My question is, where do people mount the pump and the solenoids on a pickup truck?

I assumed that it would just go under the hood, but there isn't a lot of room with all the other junk there, and the manual said it shouldn't be under the hood due to the heat. They suggest mounting it in a well shielded area on the chassis... thats easier said than done. I could put it in the cab, but there isn't all that much room there either.

Any recomendations??

Matt in MN
    97 F250 Powerstroke, 9'2" Boss V, Tommy Lift
  2. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I got em out back... absolutely love them, wayyyyy better then any timbren by far... Air lift rocks!
  3. kabong57

kabong57 Junior Member
    from IL

mounting location

Mounted my compressor & 1 gal. tank to the bracket holding the running boards to truck box. Out of sight & no vibration in cab. HTH steve
  4. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

I have air suspension on my F-150. I'll post some pics for u tomorow when it dries up here! I'll show u where the pump is & where I put the mounts. You dont need a tank at all, unless you wants to spend more money for a more unique system. tymusic

If I had to do it over again, I would have simply installed two extra leaf springs on either side. It would have costed less $$$ & probly be more stable for carrying loads.
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
  5. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

but 2 more leafs ride like a tank
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

On the old body style Fords I always put the compressor on the inside of the left frame rail right in front of the forward fuel tank. Keeps it inboard, away from road spray but not too far away from your electrical and air line termination points. Less heat in that location as well.
  7. earnies2

earnies2 Senior Member

yes i have bags in the front and rear and their great i have the 2500 lb bags so i have 5000 lbs rear and 5000 lbs front I mounted the compressor on the pass side inner fender in front of the hood hinge their you can take your power from the solenoid i ran the air line to a 3 gallon air tank witch i mounted under my pass side running board than up to a bank of pneumatic valves one to raise the front one to lower the front, one for my air horns i have a new-way air ride hight controller valve in the rear so it automatically raises or lowers the rear according to the weight in the truck i have a duel air gage in the cab one needle tels me tank pressure the other tels me the air pressure in my front bags.. the system is5+ years old and except for solenoid valve changes i have had no problems with it and remember with 3 yards of sand and salt and a Blizzard 8611LP the truck weighs 15-16K and sits level good luck just do it you wont be dissatisfied ussmileyflag