1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Installing Air Bags in Front TTB Coils.

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by bowtie_guy, Dec 13, 2004.

1. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

Air bags or air springs whatever you want to call them. Anyone install a set in the front of a coil springed TTB truck before?? If so how did ya do it?? Do you have to remove the spring retaining bolt on the top and unbolt the lower shock bolt?? Guess they can't just slip in with the suspention drooped could they??

Going to get a set to help handle a little weight on my 87.

Thanks!!

2. ace911emt

ace911emt Member

I have no idea what a TTB is, but the spring Must be removed to install the Bags Correctly.

3. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

ttb ( twin traction beams) the setup under all f series 80-85 then f150, f250 86 -98 (except f150 which stopped in 96)

i did this on my 85. the spring retainor piece of metal at the top of bucket has to be removed. Will more than likely break the bolt head off. I ended up welding a nut to the bolt to get it out, both sides went this way. Once that retainer is out of the way just pull the coil outwards and push the bag in then reverse the process.

4. berkplowguy

berkplowguy Junior Member

They are easy to do. Jack vehicle little higher than usual put a jack stand under the frame behind the radius arm. Let jack down till it hits the jack stand, remove tire, remove upper spring clip bolt, remove lower shock bolt make sure it is freely moving. Start to lower jack till pressure is totally off, take a pry bar and push down towad the front of the frame and it should be ready to drop the air bag inside.

Have you ever tried getting HD coils instead of standard? or Timbrens (rubber spring load block) I used to install air lifts all the time. I worked in the armored industry and have seen them all in action. Myself I would try the HD spring it may jack the front end up but it will settle in due time. You should also have an HD shock on it and you may need adjustable camber/caster bushings after they are it so your tires arent pointed out.

5. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

Thanks for the help. Doesn't seem too bad.

The plan for this truck was a 6 inch lift but I found a nice plow that wasn't too bad of a price. I will look into the HD springs never really thought about that. :drinkup:

6. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

i wouldn't bother with HD springs froma 3/4 ton or 1 ton. they may settle some but not all the way and you alighment will be fudged \ / like that unless you use some drop brackets from jcwhitney which run about 150 bucks. You don't have to worry about alignment with air bags unless you have over 50 lbs of air in them without the plow, then just drop the air out and the truck sits normal. IT takes alot of air to move the truck out of its range of alignment