1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Installing a used Meyer plow, any tips?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by outdoors017, Nov 25, 2001.

1. outdoors017

outdoors017 Junior Member

I am just beging to install a used meyer E-47 plow on my older 1989 Dodge 3/4 ton truck. I had to rebuild the lectric motor the commutator cap was cracked and what a pain the brushes were to hold down. The fram went on fine but the wireing is a head scratcher for this carpenter. If anyone can provide insight, diagrams, or hints It will save me and my family sleepless nights and maybe I will be ready for the New England winter. I think the old wireing was faulty because the wires are cut and spliced all over. I did order a new harness for the motor and I have the toggle controls.
    Thanks to anyone who can assist.
  2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

3. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome to Plowsite! Chuck Smith (one of the moderators here) has a site: www.snowplowing-contractors.com where you should be able to find some Meyer info.
  4. outdoors017

outdoors017 Junior Member

thanks a lot you have been very helpful!
  5. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Push come to shove, Email Chuck Smith.
    If he can't answer it, it cannot be answered.

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

next time you need to remove the brushes in that motor you can use a gm window handle tool to hold them down it works very good(the tool is originally used to remove clip that holds handle to the regulator)
  7. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I have made harnesses before but the best bet is just to buy a new harness from a Meyer dealer. Only costs like $40. If you wanted to you could update to a joystick for a little more money. The new harness and a diagram will make hookup easy.
  8. johngus

johngus Senior Member

If you call Meyer,they will send you the service manual for free.There's a guy on ebay selling them for 15-20 dollars.figure that out when the manual says it's $4.
  9. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Maybe he is selling it as an antigue. LOL lots of stuf on ebay not to buy. Hard part is finding the good stuff.