1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Installing A Under Tailgate preader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Superior L & L, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

We just picked up a 2002 GMC 6500 and will be installing a undertailgate spreader. It has central hydraulics for the dump bed and was looking for some tips from anyone that has installed one before. Also we dont have a mechanic on staff (some back yard mechanics) and was wonder if i should even deal with this job or just pay the dealer to install

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I just bought a 2001 6500. Mine is a manual transmission. I don't think you can run the salter from the PTO but I could be wrong. I have a 3126 in mine. I am going to look into getting a clutch pump put on but I have to get the truck registered in Canada first.

3. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Superior= I will have to go out and look at mine. I am pretty sure there is just some extra valves which redirect the flow. Not 100% sure though. We have central hydraulics on our F450. Runs bed, plow, and spreader. If you guys have basic understanding of hydraulics and plumbing it shouldn't be a problem. Does your's run on a pump under the hood through the serpentine belt?

4. Superior L & L

from MI

You know Phil i havent even looked into it enough to know if its a clutch pump system or not. I do have a chevy 4500 set up that way so i guess i could sit them side by side and go one hose at a time

5. LON

LON Senior Member

Actually not a hard job to do as long as there is a valve to operate it. Have installed probably 500+ in my 30 years on the job. If it were mine though I'd be putting an RTS on it from Henderson.

DSC01454.jpg

6. bterry

bterry Senior Member

I've got a truck with PTO hydraulic, and installed a tailgate replacement unit similar to the picture above. Did all the hydraulic stuff myself. I used a parker dual flow control unit (has two big knobs and a lever).
    I tapped into the hydraulic system right at the dump vavle. Not that hard. I was told that I would have trouble running both the dump and the spreader - true to a minor point, the spreader slows a bit when raising dump body. No big deal at all.

The control needs 4 lines to it, all of which need to be run into the cab. (There's some pricey electronic jobs that avoid this).
    1 Pressure (got mine from dump valve return line)
    1 return to tank
    1 to auger
    1 to spinner
    Spinner and Auger will also have return lines (I put in a tee and ran one back)
    Materials were about $750 if memory serves

Obviously, SUPPORT THE BOX when disconnecting hyd lines.

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

As CET mentioned some manual transmissions are not heavy enough to support anything other then stationary hydraulics. I'd check with a hydro dealer and see what the options are and what the cost of installing would be. We have done some ourselve's and taken others to the dealer, it's not rocket science. Electric over hydraulic is the way to go IMO and it's a way easier install.

8. Superior L & L

from MI

Electric under tailgate? have you used on before ? In the past using snowex 8000 then going to gas or hydro powered was like night and day. The electrics take for ever to unload were as i could do a lot in half the time with a gas v box.

I did look at them a little but thought they would be to weak

9. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Any update on this Paul? How did the install go? I have my eye on a international 4700 with a dump body on it right now. It has a 7 speed manual transmission and the dump body is running on central hydraulics. I am debating if the Salt Dogg electric or hydraulic spreader is the way to go and if I should have it installed or have my mechanic do it (we never have dealt with central hydraulics).

10. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Gotta tell you guys, Swenson electric tailgate works really well. We bought a painted version last year, this year we're doing a stainless. Or at least that was the plan before we bought a loader.........

11. jmmay82

jmmay82 Junior Member
    from chicago

Guys I am setting up central hydraulics on my dt 466 I have a flink tailgate spreader buyers 7/15 spreader valve and a 12 gallon per minute couple questions
    what size hose should I run
    From pump to valve
    From valve to spinner
    from valve to auger
    from spinner/auger to tank as return
    From pump to tank as suction

12. pvtben121

pvtben121 Senior Member

Just picked up our F650 with a electric Salt Dogg UTG from the dealer. I have never used one as we have just bought the truck this year. I know it hauls over 7 ton of gravel, i hope it does the same with salt. Because our F550's only have 4 ton Vboxs on them. So a extra 3 tons will help a lot.

pic.jpg

13. LON

LON Senior Member

For a clutch pump system use AW/ISO 15W hydraulic oil.
    For all other styles I would use AW32 for cold storage truck or AW46 for warm storage.
    I would NEVER use multi-purpose ATF - EVER!

14. jmmay82

jmmay82 Junior Member
    from chicago

Guys I am setting up central hydraulics on my dt 466 Trans mounted, crankshaft driven or clutch pump? Manual or auto trans? clutch pump
    I have a flink tailgate spreader gearbox drive or direct drive? Direct drive
    buyers 7/15 spreader valve expect problems w/ these as I've replaced many
    and a 12 gallon per minute rated how? 1000rpm? at 1000 RPM
    couple questions, what size hose should I run:
    From pump to valve 3/4"
    From valve to spinner 1/2"
    from valve to auger 1/2"
    from spinner/auger to tank as return 1" thru a 2qt filter
    From pump to tank as suction 1-1/4"

What kind of valve do you recommend and what is the problem with the buyers valve

15. LON

LON Senior Member

You can take my observations however you'd like. I have 35 years of experience in setting up & personally building trucks for the municipal market. It does not mean though that "I know it all".

16. jmmay82

jmmay82 Junior Member
    from chicago

what size hose form controller to tank as a bypass and where can I get a sauer/danfoss valve?

17. LON

LON Senior Member

3/4" is fine for the tank line.