1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Installing a set of Pro Wings tomorrow...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Snowpower, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Any last minute recommendations or suggestions by anyone who has done it before?

Has anyone come up with the right set up to reinforce the wing to avoid bending?

Thanks guys.

2. Dakotaplowboy

Dakotaplowboy Member

My Experience

I bought a 7'6" western last year that already had the pro wings. Busted the welds last year on one. Mine have some extra steel welded to the back of the plow where the pin on the wing runs through the plow. The wings, if they are pro wings that you got are tought. I hit a dumpster with the plow last year, bent a corner a little, just bent it back out. Be sure to line them up right, I had to re-do the one a broke like three times before I got it on right. They work really good though, they are well worth it.

3. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

That steel on the back of your plow where the pin goes through the plow is actually the square flat washer thats included in the kit.

Im not welding my kit on as it's going on a poly blade.

4. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

we run some on a a few poly plows and it is a MUST to weld them on a poly plow. it's just IMO. otherwise you'll be busting the poly moldbord.

5. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

How do you weld metal to urethane?

:dizzy:

6. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

A poly plow still has a steel frame!:p

7. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Yes but you dont mount any of this to the frame (see below) unless you want to redo the geometry and reshape the brackets and Im not at all convinced it will be as solid as doing it factory with some extra support I have planned.

One of the mounting bolts on each pin bracket is getting bolted through the outside frame rib.

8. Jay brown

you'll have to weld a brace from the hinge pin to the steel frame

9. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

Take that SnowPower!:gunsfiring: JK

10. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

are you guys talking about the square black washer with a crease in it, i nevefr welded mine to plow i just put 'em on every time i put the wings on and i never had a problem but i could see where it would be beneficial 8' western pro. Does anybody have any experiance with western wings i am probablly going to put the pro-wings on my 8' diamond Where is the best price on western wings

11. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Yeah the only thing I am doing is adding a larger flat washer system to the bolts that go through the moldboard (2 per side) The other two go through the frame anyhow.

12. Jay brown

so are you welding braces from the hinge pins (4) to the outside steel rib? if not i would highly reconsider doing so. hope this helps. they say that the poly is stronger than steel but i think they are full of it.

13. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Im not welding anything. Im installing it as designed but beefing up the back support of any bolts that go through poly as a precaution.

We'll be fine.

Im not an animal on my equipment and am fairly gentle.

14. Jay brown

installing it as designed???? it's not designed for poly plows......trust me and take my advice and weld the pins to the outside rib or you'll be sorry... the first curb you hit hard by back dragging and you'll have a busted moldboard.

15. RickinMt

RickinMt Junior Member

Pro-Wings

New to the list:
    Got mine yesterday and will go on a Meyers 7 and a half footer.

There were no directions or templates like I would have expected..especially to locate the hole in the moldboard.

Did they come with directions?

Regards,
    RickinMt.:help:

16. Jay brown

yes they do... i would call them and have them send you a set. remember when you measure up for drilling the "big hole", measure up from the moldboard, not the cutting edge.

17. RickinMt

RickinMt Junior Member

Pro-Wings

Thanks much Jay. I've read here where the big hole is 8" in from the side, but that's it. That will give me a start as the wing doesn't even come close to fitting the moldboard contour. I do plan on welding the hinges onto the outer frame rib. Plan now is to build a sacrificial plywood moldboard and see how that works out for locating the big hole, but I'll keep looking for the manu. instructions. Even they might be off as now I'm not bolting the hinge to the moldboard. We'll see how it goes today.

Thanks again!
    Rick
    PS: Would it be safe to say the bottom edge of the wing is parallel to the ground?

18. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

If you are going to weld them to the rib, then the geometry will be all different and the instructions wont do you much good. They can be downloaded at the Buyers website fyi.

There is no "measuring up" from anything. The large pin hole in the moldboard is totally dependent on where the outer pins are located. Period. Has nothing to do with the cutting edge or anything.

And I am mounting it stock to a poly board. What you arent understanding is that one of the bolts goes through the steel rib(on eachpin bracket). One does not and will be beefed up. That and I am gentle on my gear and this unit is specific to be used at a storage facility. The rest of my jobs wont be getting winged.

19. RickinMt

RickinMt Junior Member

20. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

If you are mounting to a steel plow, just bolt them on. I am a bit concerned about mine being poly, but with a few fab upgrades, good solid mounting, and not beating the hell out of it I am confident it will hold up.

Did you get the instructions at Buyer?

Oh yes now I see you did. Cool.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2007