1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

installing a new plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by golfmanres, Jan 4, 2002.

1. golfmanres

golfmanres Senior Member

OK so i have a good back ground in heavy machine mechanics and i was wondering how hard it is to install a plow my self. I can admit i have never done this before and was told it might be too challanging but the snow is coming on sunday and i still am with out a plow. i have been told that i have to rip apart the front end is that true??? i have a chevy k2500 4x4 excab 1998 any help is greatly appreciated. the wiring is cake work i have installed prize winning car stereos before so thats not the problem it the drilling of the frame if i have to that might be a problem and the monting of the body mount.. HELP me please
  2. sledhead

sledhead Member

I mounted mine 2 weekends ago.
    A Western 8ft. Poly with an Ultra Mount.
    Although mine went on a Ford F-250 SD
    It took me about 13hrs. solo in my garage.
    That was taking my time to make a very neat and clean install.
    Had to drill 8 holes in the frame and 1 in the firewall.
    Dont sweat it. Like I said in an earlier post, its just a big errector set for grown ups.
    Im glad I did it myself. sore back and all.

3. Yardworks

Yardworks Senior Member

It all depends on what kind of plow and how new it is. The new ones seem to be pretty easy to do. Usually if you have the right brackets for your model truck all the holes line up to original holes in the truck. I just installed a new 9'2" Boss V-plow on a truck and it really was quite easy. I always figure it is going to take twice as long as they say it will take, when doing it for the first time.( The only exception is the first time in bed) It took me 10 hours to put the plow together and mounts on truck. Another 4 hours to do the wiring. It was worth it to me. They wanted over $600.00 to install it. It wasn't a great savings, but I can't complain about $42 dollars an hour. Now I think I could do it in about 10 hours total including wiring.
  4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I am by no means an ace mechanic, but I am very handy with tools and know my way around trucks. I have installed over the years about 10 plow, if you have a good mechanical aptitude, you will be fine.
  5. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

I put my 8'2" boss V on my 01 Dodge Ram 2500 by myself in 4.5 hours wired and all.... the hardest part is holding the heavy stuff up while you are trying to line up the bolts and holes.... But I have assembled plenty of machinery in my 10 years of tool and die.
  6. Manx

Manx Senior Member

Go for it
    if you have the time
    I had mine installed
    had to re-loom the wiring
    and the idiot scratched my truck on both sides
    then told me it's just a truck
    I held back money to repair the truck but it's now something
    else i have to get done
    I wish that I had done the install
  7. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

You do not say what kinds of plow it is. For Western, Fisher and Diamond/Meyer you can count on some drilling.

Seems like some of the other manufacturers count on just using factory holes. Not the best way IMO

If you have a good 1/2" drill and sharp bits of the right size it will not be hard. Just take your time, mark the holes and then step up the holes to make the drilling easier. Start with a pilot hole and work your way up. Usually you end up drilling 1/2" or bigger holes.

I like to have the truck up on a lift but it can be done on the ground. I like to take the tires off, even if directions don't mention it, as it allows more room. If you do it on the ground be sure to block the rear wheels and use jackstands if you take the tires off.

Take your time, follow the directions and be sure not to drill until you have everything lined up, marked and checked. Don't tighten anything down until all holes are drilled and bolts installed.
  8. ScottyB.

ScottyB. Member

It sounds like you are mechanically inclined, so go for it. I am only self proclaimed mechanically inclined (kind-of). I put a 8' Hiniker on my '86 F250 a few weeks ago. It went fine. In fact I was a bit suprised at how well everything lined up, especially on an older truck. I spent about 4 hours messing around with the wiring. I could do it in 2 hours now. I worked on the mount for about 6 hours with my brother helping me hold parts up and such. I used a jack to hold the frame in place. A heavy 1/2" drill is a must. Air wrenches are a plus. I had to take the bumper off. You may or may not have to do this. I swore more at that bumper than the whole rest of the job.

What kind of plow is it?

I must have done a good job, because it works GREAT.
    Although it has not seen snow yet. lol

I decided to use this year as a test year. I didn't try to get any customers. I'm just doing my own driveway. If things go well, I will make some money next year. I feel bad for you guys trying to make a living this winter.

Anyway, good luck. What's the worst that can happen?
  9. golfmanres

golfmanres Senior Member

Hey guys sorry its a meyers 7.5 with an e60 pump and a tuch pad control the local dealer wants 250 to install and they are backed up and i think i can do it anyone done a meyers before? thanks for the replys keep them coming....... Happy plowing.. if we get the chance..:p :confused:
  10. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

"If you have a good 1/2" drill and sharp bits of the right size it will not be hard. "

This statement is worth repeating, because the lack of sharp drills means endless hours of headache and heartache. That said, take a trip to the local hardware store and purchase the size of the best quality drills you will need, as its money well spent. Then you will have no problem provided you have a helper, or plenty of 2x4 and 4x4 scraps and a floor jack.
  11. Long Island Brian

Long Island Brian Junior Member

I installed the same plow last winter on my 2000 chevy 2500 series pickup. I think I had to drill one hole. Directions were very easy to follow and as suggested, 1/2 inch drill, air tools, and sharp bits. It was my second plow install and both went smooth, you are better off installing your own because you will eventually have to make repairs and you will know where everthing is. Good choice with the E-60 good luck.
  12. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

Here's a tip for the DIY'er, get a can of antiseize, and a tube of dielectric compound, it's one reason I've always done my own installs, take your time and coat every electrical connection that you make with the dielectric compound, it will prevent any possiblity of electrical malfunction down the road from corrossion. Put antiseize on every bolt and nut you put together, even if you think it will never need to come apart, again things will come apart years down the road. A paid installer will never take the time to this sort of thing.

13. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

To quote the one fellow from the movie "The Waterboy", "You can do it".

Everyone has given good advice, allow yourself a full day to do the job and if it doesn't seem to be going together right STOP and think before getting mad at it!

A big "yes" to antiseize and dielectric compound.

Once it's all installed and you plow with it for the first time (sooner or later it WILL snow :D ) give everything a good inspection and re-torque the bolts.
  14. golfmanres

golfmanres Senior Member

Wow you all are right only had one trouble it was with the mount underneath it didnt line up right but i got it finally now time to finish the wiring

thanks everyone

15. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

With the background you mentioned (heavy machine mechanics) I didn't think you would have any problems! :)

With the wiring, again take your time, route everything properly (so there is nothing pinched or rubbing) and make sure that it's secured well.

Seal up all connections (I like using heat shrink tubing as much as possible) and once everything is done, checked and working properly a good "finishing touch" is to cover it with corrugated split loom - the same stuff used at the factory when your truck was built. You can see it in this photo under the hood as well as on the bumper of my old "relic":

underhood powerpack.jpg
  16. CAT

CAT Junior Member

Make sure that you have good drill bits and a whole lot of patience. I just installed a 2001 8ft diamond with a e60 on a 99 dodge 2500 diesel. I spent more time f*$# with the bumper than anything else and it still doesn't look right. A extra set of hands would come in handy. Diamond has the easiest wiring harness to install. Tackle it and conquer, I'm only 22, an I did it.

Good luck
    Get cold case of beer.
  17. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

You can do it!!!

Installed my 27th Meyer plow today. Goes faster when you don't have to look at the directions:D Meyer directions are pretty easy to follow. I'd suggest reading them entirely before starting though. Sometimes you can get ahead of your self and make more work. Good luck!
  18. golfmanres

golfmanres Senior Member

I am done i am done now just waiting for the white stuff to fall it was a fun project it took a total of 10 hours including a few breaks i think next time i could do it in about 7 hours. Tomorrow i hope i can test it out. The hardest part that i had trouble with were the two bolts in the front of the mount that goes on the frame where the tow hooks were i had to drill that out to make it fit right and that was cake with agian SHARP NEW BITS.. you all are right make sure you buy a few extras. Thanks everyone for the help and the confidence it helped a ton. Anymore questions i might have i will ask tomorrow.... OH yeah one more Do i need to add any fluid to the pump after i installed it? i havent yet can someone help on that???

ERIK:p :eek:
  19. sledhead

sledhead Member

I don't know about Meyer's, but the Western's come empty.
    Had to fill the resivoir and angle the blade left and right several times to bleed the air out of the rams.
    Refill the res. and then lift and lower (manualy colapse the lift cyl. completely) several times. Then top off the res. and your ready.
  20. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

Don't sell yourself short just because you say you are only twenty two. Age does not have a bearing on quality of work ethic. Also, I know many early twenty-somethings who run rings around some older guys who think they know it all.
    Personally I started learning to work on dragsters at the age of ten so by the time I was twenty two I had been turning wrenches for ten years.