1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Installing a new plow yourself

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I wanted to have another Extreme V on our 05 F350. Problem is our local Fisher dealer won't install any plow it due to the frt weight rating is only 4800lbs. I ordered 7,000lb front springs for it today and every other part is the same as our other truck with the factory plow prep. They still said no. My question is how involved is installing the plow yourself? The only other plow I put together was a skid steer plow last year. Ive turned wrenches for years at a dealership so I know a bolt from a nut,lol just didn't know if there were different angles or degrees they set them up at etc. It can't be that bad, the dealer only gets 250.00 to install it.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Just invite the guy who installs them at the dealership over on a Saturday to do it.

3. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Great Idea....Give a few Bucks and a case of Beer...Hell if i was closer i would do it...:drinkup:

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The mount is not rocket science, a drive on lift helps but is not necessary. Have a friend help. The bumper is not a one man job without the right tools and a little experience. installer tip. tape the edges of the front panels to protect them from scratches when you R/R the front bumper.

Wiring it is a little more complicated and time consuming, again the right tools help. Nothing you and a buddy couldn't do in a weekend, two weekends if you start drinking beer.

Download the instructions, print a copy, lie down under the front end of the truck and take a look. Read the instruction before starting and make sure you understand them before you start. Nothing worse then going backward. USE THE TORQUE WRENCH, proper torque is very important and no tighter is not always better. pay attention to the drive angle of the truck VERY IMPORTANT Load it as if plowing before setting the mount height.

5. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

mmmmm....beer. My problem is not having a big enough air compressor to run the air tools I have. I'm sure I have every tool possible after almost 15yrs making payments to the Snap-on guy:(. I might just have them install the truck side mount, everything else should be fairly easy and I should be able to get leverage on things to snug them up. Wiring should just be plug and play. But I will ask the tech or techs if they wanted any sidewalk.

6. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Brian,
    I assume your f350 is a diesel? that said I've done the wiriing before but not the plates... wiring took me a few hours to do correctly and neatly.....can't comment on the plates.... hell, just put a ad on craigslist for someone thats done these before and throw him a few bucks.......

7. wellnermp

wellnermp Senior Member
    from Alaska

I've done a grand total of 5 installs over the years with Meyer and Boss plows. Never tried a Fisher, but I'm sure their directions are as straight forward as the ones I have done. Seems like installing a brand new plow out of the box takes about 10-12 hours. Mix in a little beer and you've got yourself a weekend!

8. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

Plow guy's are not conventional! Plow manufactures and contracted dealers are.Find a good independent plow shop in your area. They are out there, just ask around. Most plow snow themselves. Talk to them about what you want to do. They will give an honest opinion on the install and the effects on your truck. Personally, I would go on line and shop for your plow, then direct ship to the installer you choose. I always thought they would hate that-big truck and all-heavy boxes, ect. Nope, just like kids with new toys. smiles on there faces. I also bring BBQ for lunch when the truck shows up.

I have also done 2 installs start to finish myself. If you really want to know your plows and do quick fixes in the middle of a storm-this is the most valuable information you will ever gain in mechanics.

The most interesting posts I read on here are the one's that are told it can't be done. I'm still dreaming about a Speedwing on my Wrangler!

9. ZachXSmith

ZachXSmith Senior Member

3-5 hours tops... I installed 3 snow doggs last year. Plows aren't ****...

10. kcplowman

kcplowman Member

agreed installs are easy if you have any mechanical experience. Air tools not even a necessity. kinda handy for the mount but a little elbow grease :mechanic: and ur fine. wiring is easy. most is plug and play plus a few extra wires. Just dont be affraid to use a bunch of zip ties. I found that it takes me langer to tie everything up and make it look real neat than it does to actuall hook it all up. But I am kinda anal about hiding all the wires and making it look like its not there. if you dont care about that just make sure they r secure and not in the way and ur good

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

bet they were on Chevys.

12. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

I wish I had the skills to do that. My elevator does not go that high!

13. dcwn.45

dcwn.45 Member

Last fall I bought and installed a Western unimount on my 2001 Dodge.
    I did everything, wiring included.
    I'm a finish carpenter by day , not a mechanic, and it still went pretty good.
    I had a few issues [due to old plow on an old truck] but I felt like I knew my rig a lot better than if I hired it out.
    My point is it is pretty do-able if you are of average or above mechanical ability.
    I plan to run this rig for 1 more season , then go to a newer [maybe brand new] and heavier truck, likely with a newer plow as well [unimount not available for new truck]