1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

installing a daniels on a jeep cherokee...

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by NorthernSvc's, Nov 3, 2011.

1. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

so i finally broke down and bought a daniels back blade for one of our jeeps... well see how it works out before i get more...
    one of the major issues for my resistance is that the jeep cherokees which i use for driveways have a unibody frame, and the daniels ( and almost all other backblades worth a s h$t) are heavy and would wreak havoc on this frame... so not only would i have to drop some dough for the plow, but would also need to reinforce the whole rear end of the jeep...
    Soooo... after some late nights, and several cases of beer later i present you with our installation of a daniels with frame modifactions for the jeep cherokee...

step one was tearing apart the inside, dropping the fuel tank, and plasma cutting some slits along the frame...

004.jpg

006.jpg

2. NorthernSvc's

step 2 was running reinforcing plates along the top of the frame rails, and tying them into the lower portion of the frame ( boxing)... Keep in mind all of this was done with scrap steel ( steel left over from other projects) which is why the pieces are so thick... a little overkill but hey it's free....

after that we took off the hitch, cleaned it and the frame ( both were pretty badly rusted), and replaced all the old bolt hardware and welded the hitch to the frame. after that we ran several pieces down from the top support to the hitch.

009.jpg

010.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

3. NorthernSvc's

of course we did this on the weekend... and we ran out of gas....:realmad::realmad::cry: so we had to switch over to flux core wire...

next step was making a support for the front portion, which we could just bolt up instead of having to weld, i was originally going to weld it on but i hate flux core...so i tig welded some front plates with threaded rod and bolted them on...

019.jpg

020.jpg

021.jpg

026.jpg

028.jpg

4. NorthernSvc's

next: fitting some thin stock to tie the floors back in, wire brushed the underside, and rattle canned some 3m undercoating to protect the new welds and bare metal... (had pictures but they were all blurry)
    daniels design has the pump outside, which adds weight to the back, and also leaves all those connections open to the elements, we thought it best to keep everything inside, and since the daniesl plow when on will block the rear door from opening decided to just mount in the back... so we ran all the power cables up through the floor and coiled them, and then took some extra hoses we had lying around, and bought 2 sets of quick couplers.
    final step was putting a crossbrace in and attaching a piece of angle that we could mount the pump to.

003.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

5. NorthernSvc's

final pictures to come... had to grab the front plow so we could finish doing the work, putting the back and attaching the plow tonight...

6. Showmestaterida

Showmestaterida Senior Member

wow! more pixs

7. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

Coming along....

8. NorthernSvc's

ok finally got her finished, went to the hydraulic shop to have them custom make some hoses, and had to replace the quick connects because the ones i had were junk...
    anyways here are the final pictures! this truck is finally done, ill post some pictures of the truck in the daylight tomorrow...

001.jpg

002.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

9. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

interesting....

10. PabstBlueRibbon

PabstBlueRibbon Senior Member

you just screwed ever trying to sell that thing by cutting and welding onto the "frame" of that thing

11. NorthernSvc's

yea.. not planning on selling them...

12. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

this is definately interesting..

13. nicks_xj

nicks_xj Senior Member

very interesting did or do you have to beef the rear end up to hold the extra weight

14. nicks_xj

nicks_xj Senior Member

Do you have any pics with the blade attached

15. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

That's dedication right there.

16. Dubl0Vert

Dubl0Vert Senior Member

Looks good!! I always like a purpose built rig...and those cherokees can take a pounding!

17. NorthernSvc's

thanks guys! it should really speed the guys up... anyways here are some final pics i snapped of the blade attached...

001.jpg

002.jpg

18. SDP Hauling

SDP Hauling Senior Member

pretty neat looking...hope it serves you well

19. nicks_xj

nicks_xj Senior Member

that looks awesome I'm jealous and want a pull plow now

20. ken643

ken643 Senior Member

I love this setup!, very nice job. Always wondered about gettting one of those, wether it would save time on the certain pain in the A.. back dragging driveways.