1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Installing 2-speed travel in a skid

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by wenzelosllc, Oct 26, 2014.

1. wenzelosllc

wenzelosllc Senior Member

Does anyone know if there's a way to add 2-speed travel to a skid that doesn't have it as an option? I'm specifically looking to get a little more speed out of a bobcat 463.

I've read that the 2-speed is controlled by basically using a manifold that blocks flow to half the pistons in the motors allowing the motor to spin faster but at lower torque. (Extremely simplified explanation obviously) Is there a way to change the current hydraulic setup to accommodate this for a reasonable price and/or is there just not enough power in the engine/ room in the engine compartment?

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Interesting..

3. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Not happening on your 463. You could look into slightly taller tires though...might get 1mph or so out of that, which is a decent boost for a machine like that.

4. wenzelosllc

Figured as much. Can you offer specifics as to why not?

5. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

It can be done but the cost is wow
    I sold my skid and just bought a 2 speed

6. wenzelosllc

I imagine you're looking at 2 motors, a manifold or two, good chunk of hoses....

All of which is probably fairly spendy.

7. Team_Arctic

Team_Arctic Senior Member

I have an S100 same machine as the 553. my s100 came stock with 2sp I would get some diagrams and see what parts are different. FYI in high speed they are quite tippy if they hit a curb or pothole I have had to almost clean my shorts a few times