1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Installers.....temp sensor relocate????

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by pwrjnky, Dec 28, 2012.

1. pwrjnky

pwrjnky Senior Member

for you guys that install. Do you relocate the under hood temp sensor?? Reason I ask is that I have a 2009 Chevy silverado 2500 HD. With my ultramount, after driving for a just a little while, my temp sensor will read as much as 124 degrees under the hood since the plow is blocking the wind. Since it thinks it's 100 degrees out, my driver and passenger temps won't maintain the inside temp. Since it thinks it's hot outside, it gets rather chilly unless I pull over for a bit and drop the plow. Once the under hood temp sensor reads correctly, it warms right up to the set 70 degrees inside. Anybody else see this??

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I know that some installs require the temp sensor be moved but that is on Fords. Certainly you can change the location but you may have to extend your wire. Most people don't install plows on trucks that are fancy enough to have high end climat control systems. Since plowing is a vertualy perpetual collision people don't expect their trucks to last long and therefor they buy old, used or basic trucks. But there is nothing wrong with being comfortable while you plow.

3. pwrjnky

pwrjnky Senior Member

you mean everyone doesn't plow with new fully loaded quad cab Chevy 2500 HD LTZ's?????:drinkup:

4. pwrjnky

pwrjnky Senior Member

I think I found the sensor. It was mounted on a bar dead center of the headlights down low about an inch in front of the radiator. Looks like the plow blocked all the wind and the sensor picked up all the radiator heat. I relocated it up higher off to one side away from the radiator. It should get some wind now. I will update next time I take the truck out.

5. bb45

bb45 Member
    from waverly

same problem with our dodges they tell us its like summer outside we havn't bothered to look into it

6. pwrjnky

pwrjnky Senior Member

it hasn't really bothered me too much except for today with my 3 kids in the backseat. Temp was set at 70 in the truck and after 5 miles down the road, the outside temp was reading 124 degrees and inside the truck started to cool off real fast! Turned my inside temp to 90 and it still was barely warm. I think the relocate should help. Sitting almost on the radiator with the plow blocking wind was a terrible spot.

7. bb45

bb45 Member
    from waverly

ooooo that explains it i was wondering why it mattered what the truck thought the outside temp is they are not connected to heater controls in the dodges we have the newest is an 08

8. Couxgar

Couxgar Junior Member
    from USA

I just purchased new 2013 Silverado 2500HD LT and had Western MVP+ 'V' plow installed, and I do occasional plowing (my driveway, my neighbor's driveway, and my place of worship). I noticed that my outdoor temperature readout increases dramatically whenever I drive with my plow attached. Fortunately, I do not have climate control in my cab.
    My prior plow truck (2008 Silverado 2500HD WT w/Western Pro Plus) did not have a temperature sensor, so it was never an issue. Be that as it may, ..My most immediate suggestion would be to limit your driving while the plow is attached. It may also help save unnecessary wear-and-tear on the truck. I usually average less than 7000 miles on my trucks per year ..and I try to make it a habit not to drive with the plow attached unless I am actually plowing.
    Anyway, Thank you for bringing up this outdoor temperature sensor issue. Now I know where to look for the sensor should I ever want to move it.

9. pwrjnky

pwrjnky Senior Member

I didn't think it would matter either since they are separate readouts, but the climate control with dual zone heating inside must get a reading from the computer telling what the outdoor temp is and go off that.

I don't do any commercial plowing either. I do my drive, a couple family membeers and some friends. It's only 10 miles to my wifes co worker yesterday when outside temp was reading 124. doesn't take long once the truck is up to temp and no wind hits the sensor.

10. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

The other option is what I do with my F350 is take it off auto and use manual temp control. can't say my truck shows 100 but it can show 60.

11. tlrlc

tlrlc Member

i know this is an old thread but did reloacting the sensor fix the problem ?:mechanic: