1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Installed the Whiteknight BU lights

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jonw440, Nov 8, 2004.

1. jonw440

jonw440 Senior Member

This backup light kit is fantastic!! It went on in about 20 minutes. The output is amazing!!
    Will post a picture tonight to show the output of the two 55w halogen lights!!
    Here is a picture of how it looks on the truck.
    The last picture is my new Whelen Gardian Rotators. The output at night is BLINDING!! Very very happy with it!!!!
    Now for some snow payup

BU lights.jpg

Last edited: Nov 8, 2004
  2. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Looks awesome! I'm looking forward to seeing the night shots. But I don't have to, I'm going to order a set of those today, I really like 'em. :bluebounc
  3. FatherandSon

FatherandSon Junior Member

Back Up Lights

I too had those White Knight lights and they worked great, nice and bright. However, they did fall apart on me after you back into the snow while plowing. Had to remove them. Loved them before they broke apart. Good luck with yours.
  4. tim975

tim975 Senior Member

White Night BU Lights

Hey Jon, you will be very happy with those lights! They're a must have for those of us with extended cabs with tinted side and rear windows. I bought the fixed mount version last winter, and run a salt spreader with mine, you can really see what's going on back there.
  5. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

Can you see the sand with those lights?I have a speedcaster 2, and at night can not see where I am spreding.I have lights on the backrack, but mostly aimed further back to see where I am going..Tough with 5% tint all around.
  6. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

You have a link to ware we might find them?
  7. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

8. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

May you look out side and see snow!
  9. tim975

tim975 Senior Member

White Night with spreader

Snoluvr, as a matter of fact yes I can, I have the Buyers TGSUVPRO receiver mount spreader, and the light aims right on the salt being thrown out, and it's a good way to judge how much salt you're throwing. I like the fact that the lights are aimed at an angle instead of straight out, it gives you a wider area of light.

I really like this light set up. The only question before I order one is how do the wire in? Have you guy come up with your own install or just follow the directions. Well one more question what is the difference in the fixed mount and receiver mount ?
  11. lakeeffect

lakeeffect Senior Member

I am interested in these as well. Do they just snap into your receiver? Do you wire them direct or do they just plug into you trailer wiring plugs. Would it work on a Ford Superduty with factory tow hitch and both plugs mounted beside receiver?
  12. tim975

tim975 Senior Member

White Night wiring and mounting

I wired mine according to the instructions. Unfortunately the toggle switch that controls the lights is on the back side of the light housing, which is "center off", one way for "reverse only", the other way for turning lights "on", so you'd have to get out of your truck and flip the switch every time. I leave mine set to reverse only, unless I'm hooking up a trailer at night or something. I suppose you could wire up your own switch in the cab, but that's a lotta wiring. The fixed mount setup has a U-bolt that wraps around the end of the receiver, so it can't be taken off unless it's broke off or unbolted. The other version just locks in with the trailer hitch lock. I always leave the ball mount in the receiver so it can't be unbolted and taken off, plus if someone bumps the truck from behind, they'll hit the ball mount before the lights.
  13. tim975

tim975 Senior Member

I forgot to mention, depending on the vehicle, you may need the trailer wiring plug relocator bracket. For the new body style GM trucks like mine, I had to get that too. I'm not sure about the Ford or Dodge mounts. Here's their website:

Thanks tim for the info.Also how old are yours and which type do you have?
  15. 54powerwagon

54powerwagon Senior Member

On A Ford You Have To Cut The 4 Prong Trailer Plug Off Or Bend It Up And Out Of The Way. I Found My Light Last Longer If You Put It On A Trailer Plug Cover All The Connectors With Dielectric Grease And Then Seal It Up With Silicone. Have Not Had A Problem With Mine Since. This Will Be The 3 Year For It.
  16. tim975

tim975 Senior Member

Nextdaysigns, I have the fixed mount. I thought it would be easier just to leave it mounted on the truck than to take it off and put it back on. Plus with the fixed mount, you can leave the ball mount locked in. I've had mine for a little over a year now, and still working great.

17. danno

danno Senior Member

I`ve got`em too. They are bright. Mine was a little tight trying to fit the top part of the housing between the top of the hitch and under the bumper. Also, on my Dodge, the harness plug is facing towards the left edge of the light, which makes it not accessible, unless you buy the harness relocate bracket, (10.00) It moves the plug facing out.
    They also suggest, which I did, if you have an open hole in the back of the receiver, (square hole), to put a plate over it. This prevents any water or moisture from entering and going inside the light assembly.
    I cut a piece of sheetmetal, same size, and epoxied it to the receiver rear hole. I also ran a bead of silicone inside the 2 piece assembly to seal it when you put them together.
  18. jonw440

jonw440 Senior Member

On my dodge I bought the type that goes INTO the receiver. I wired mine by soldering the two wire(One for power and one for reverse activation wire) I just slit and peeled the wire insulation off, soldered the wires, painted the bare connection,wrapped in electrical tape, the covered the splices with silicon. On my dodge the reverse wire is violet with black stripe.
    If I can do it.....................
    Anybody can, it's real easy, just lookup your truck on the web and see wich wires are 12v constant and wich wire is for the reverse lights.
  19. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Whelen Gardian Rotators ok not to jump off topic but i also got those rotators this year WOW Super Bright look like strobes but what a flood of lite......
  20. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

How do you find this info?