1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Installed some new cab light lenses yesterday.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 70monte, Feb 22, 2012.

1. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

Here awhile back I noticed that the cab light lenses on my 98 K3500 were pretty faded looking so I decided to get some new ones. I got them from the dealer but should have looked on ebay first where I scored a set of 5 new NOS lenses, 4 new rubber base gaskets, and a package of 10 mounting screws, all new GM products for $30 shipped.

The new GM ones had a different part #(15951646) than the NOS ones(15599040) and the ones that were on my truck. The new lenses have a half moon additional piece of plastic around the front and rear bolt holes that the old style don't. Here is a picture but It's kind of hard to see.
    [​IMG]

Here is a picture comparing one of my old faded ones and a new one.
    [​IMG]

I first tried putting on the new version lenses with the half moon plastic ridge but they did not want to go on very well at all. They did not seem to want to go around the rubber part of the base like they should. I finally gave up and put on the new NOS ones from Ebay which went on without any problems.

Later I was looking for something and found my bottle of Meguiers PlastX plastic cleaner and polish. I then did what I should have done in the first place and saved myself some money and cleaned and polished the original lenses. They turned out almost as good as the new ones. Here is a picture of the faded one, along side a cleaned and polished one and then the new one.
    [​IMG]

Here is another picture of the cleaned and polished one next to a new one.
    [​IMG]

So, as you can see, I was pretty bored yesterday on my day off from work.

Wayne

2. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

Here is a before and after picture of the lenses on the truck. It is kind of hard to see the difference because of the angle of the shot and because it was kind of dark under the carport.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I probably should have taken some night shots. This is where you can really tell the difference.

Wayne

3. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

How about a pic of the whole truck? I have a 98 also with a 454.

4. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

Here are a few of pictures of it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wayne

5. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

Great looking truck Wayne. To go back in time and order 5 of those to put in a barn...

6. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

Thanks. Back in 2007 I decided to start looking for a 3/4 ton or 1 ton to haul the trailer pictured above as well as a travel trailer I plan to get at some point. I wanted to find the older body style as I didn't really like the look of the chevy trucks after the 88-99 body style. I also wanted a big block. I found the truck above in Nov of 2007 with 94,600 miles on it and decided to buy it. I kind of wanted an extended cab but couldn't find one at the time and decided I really didn't want a duelly. I'm now glad I bought what I did because this truck works better for use on my fiance's farm.

Last May we installed a B&W turnover hitch to haul the 32 foot round bale hay trailer she bought last year since her 2003 Ford Superduty with a four inch lift was too tall for that duty. Truck now only has 104,000 miles on it so it should last awhile.

Do you have any pictures of yours?

Wayne

7. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

Looks great Wayne. I do have pictures of mine but am unable to post them. Maybe I can have a guy who I work with do it. Mine also is a 1998, but it is an extended cab short bed. I have the 7.4L and SLE package. 153K miles. Black also.