1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Installed new cutting edge. Does it have to be broken in? Loud chatter

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by shep28, Feb 4, 2014.

1. shep28

shep28 Member

Installed new edge on my western pro. I assumed it could be installed any way- there are no marks indicating what face is the front. Anyhow, the plow makes more noise/chatter while plowing. I assume it takes some time to break it in. Am I correct?

2. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Yes - It will stop. You may here all sorts of crazy ways to break it in but it stop on it's own. The best one was, drop it on a dry road going 60. Now if you try this please have someone next to you to take the pictures. :p

3. ByDesign

ByDesign Senior Member

I did the same thing this season, it only took about one storm for it to go away. A long push where the edge can build a little heat and you'll be set.

4. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Drag it backwards down a street.

5. shep28

shep28 Member

Big storm tonight. No dry roads for a few days. I will just have to wake up the customers :)

6. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

If you look at the profile of the edge, you'll note that it is square, but you'll also note that the cutting edge is not square against the ground. So what will happen, is that little bump will grind off and leave a surface against the road that is actually parallel to the road. Personally, I would *not* try to accelerate the wear, just let it wear in naturally.

7. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

hand file works best. file the bottom edge at 15 degrees

8. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Just drag it backwards 500feets. PerfecT angle then lol

9. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

... as long as you've got nothing to do for the next two years. :jester:

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Back drag 100/150 yards to set the edge to match the moldboard's attack angle.