1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Installed Hids in my western nighthawk lights

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by fireboy6413, Jan 24, 2010.

1. fireboy6413

fireboy6413 Senior Member

Almost done installing hids in my nighthawks, Love them very bright. Figure ill post some pics, since everyone is asking about them.

HID Plow Lights 002.jpg

HID Plow Lights 001.jpg

2. Evanbrendel

Evanbrendel Senior Member

nice where did you get the kit?

3. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

How about some install pix??

4. fireboy6413

Ill be posting them as soon as the rain lets off, hey EGLC what happened to buying the light bar

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Do you have HID for both Hi and Lo beams? What wattage and temp? They look pretty blue

6. fireboy6413

8000K and yes hi and low, I wasn't going to go with the hi/lo because of the banging from the plow, but Ill see how long the bulb will last I cant see it lasting too long, since its the actual bulb that moves up and down, its not like its a dual filament bulb. Its the camera, I think my lens is a little dirty,

7. hitachiman 200

hitachiman 200 Senior Member

Installed a set of low beam only, also 8000k,and they are still more than twice as bright as the stock bulb on high. figured the less moving parts the better and the replacement bulbs are only about $10.00. snagged them off Ebay for $69.00 and used them all last season no problem.:) The 8000k are a lot easier on the eyes than the 6000k in the snow and really make anything with flourescent stand out for miles. Almost like having a jumbo UV cannon (blacklight) on the front of your rig. easy to install also as the shell has lots of room for the ballast

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  8. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

I'll be real interested in seeing how well HIDs hold up on a plow frame. My main concern is the same as yours - how well they'll hold up to the constant banging. Where did you hide the ballasts?

9. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

have you guys been on the receiving end of those lights, they are bad enough in a car, I can imagine total blindness high up on the plow frame....

don't get me wrong, I'm all for more light, but the new lights were a vast improvement over the old style, hard to believe you needed to upgrade even more.

10. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

Here is some good reading on lighting. Make your decision on color. I bet you wiil be surprised what is best.
    Headlight article

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The glare to oncoming drivers shouldn't be nearly as bad, the Nighthawks are projectors.

I thought those were hotter than 6000K. I would imagine the glare coming back at you off the snow would get real old real fast.

If I do HID on my plow lights, I will probably do something like 3700K.

12. grec-o-face

grec-o-face Senior Member

I installed 6000K hi/low's in my MM2 (old style lights).
    HUGE difference. I'm in it for about $100. I wish I had saved a few bucks and gone with single beam HIDs, as I never use the hi beams anymore - but it's too late now...
    I'll get some dark pics soon if anyone is interested.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. hitachiman 200

With the 8000k's they produce less glare than the old style headlights. I should have taken a pic when we had three rigs side by side with the old style , the new style and new style with HID's.

14. hitachiman 200

Aren't the old style a sealed beam unit? If yours are not what brand and part # please. I installed the GE sealed nighthawk lights in one unit but they are still crappy. I have been looking for a headlight that has replaceable bulbs, like a H13, for these units but have not found any yet.

15. Diesel Nick

Diesel Nick Member

Did you have sealed beam lights on that prior? If so how did you convert them?
    I have been wanting to do that since I installed HID's on my truck.

16. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

I could be wrong, but none of the trucks we have (four of them so far) with those particular lights are projectors. Capsule style halogens yes, but not projectors.

17. grec-o-face

grec-o-face Senior Member

I did have sealed beams prior. I swapped them out for conversion headlamp - H4656's that take H4 bulbs. The headlight were like $45. Then just bought HIDs for H4s.
    I've been running HIDs for a long while now - I figured why not on the blade too.
    Something like this:
    [​IMG]

18. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

So where is it you guys are coming up with these HID kits to convert I could be interested in the 8000k for my nighthawks to if I could find them

19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I was under the impression that any headlight that does not use the lens to focus/control the light is considered a projector.

I could be wrong.

Happened one other time:laughing::laughing:

20. fireboy6413

All you need is a H13 hid conversion kit, the ones I have need a 12volt power source, so I need to run a separate battery lead to the plow its self, the other sets I bought were for my sisters cars, they did not have the hi/lo so they were just plug and play no need for a constant 12volt wire. Its very simple if you go with the lo beam only, its just plug and play, how ever go with a slim ballast, their is not much room in the housings, I will get some pics when its stops raining.