1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Installed Flowmaster Cat-back today on the 98 K3500.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 70monte, Nov 26, 2011.

1. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

My 98 K3500 reg cab long bed still had the original exhaust on it at 104,200 miles. The muffler was starting to get some pinholes in it so I decided to look for a replacement muffler for it. I didn't find many options in the aftermarket for a muffler that matched pipe size. I did find one from Magnaflow and Spintech. During my research, I found that Flowmaster had made a cat-back kit for my truck even though they don't list it on their website. I found it on amazon.com for $160 shipped. Here is a link but the price is a lot higher now for some reason. I just bought the system on 11/19/11. http://www.amazon.com/Flowmaster-17...DY1G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322338603&sr=8-1

The system is not stainless but aluminized but for the price I paid, I couldn't pass it up. I did also buy a new Delco after cat O2 sensor since you have to put your old O2 sensor in one side of the inlet pipe on the new muffler and I knew from previous experience with the pre-cat sensors that they wouldn't come out without messing them up. We tried taking the old sensor out after the install was done but it wouldn't come out. Good thing I was prepared.

The front part of the muffler is welded to the pipe that was left from cutting off the old muffler and the pipe after the muffler is bolted together with exhaust clamps or you can weld it. I had him use the clamps on mine.

It has a nice sound to it now. Not too loud but enough to know it is there. Here are some crappy pictures.

I just wanted to let some of you guys that have this generation and configuration of chevy truck that this system exists. It is for the 96-99 3/4 and 1 ton trucks with the 7.4L and 5.7LHD engines.

I don't know how long the muffler would last under plowing conditions with the salt and everything but if it was kept hosed off, it might last awhile.

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I love a single exhaust on a truck.