1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Installed Fan Clutch...Louder??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ChevKid03, Dec 10, 2008.

1. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

Anyone that has installed the "heavy duty" fan cluch for the 2500HD's.... Have you noticed that the fan is louder? When I say "louder"... I mean, spins faster and sounds like a freakin jet plane engine??

2. Going Commercial

Going Commercial Member

I had one put in by the dealer a few weeks ago on my 2005 and no I have not seen a difference at all other than I am not overheating anymore.

3. k&j Landscaping

k&j Landscaping Senior Member

mine was louder with the gm part and seems gas mpg's dropped a hair. Been real cold in Cleveland though and mpg's are thrown out the door with this truck. MIne was installed by dealer. Waiting to see how it is in summer. Truck works great though with no concerns about overheating now.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  4. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

only reason I ask is because after i finished the install I started the truck up with the hood open and revved it a bit, I heard the fan as much as the motor... sounds like it was moving with the RPM of the motor and I didn't really reallize that it did that before... Either way...we'll see how it does cooling me down.

5. k&j Landscaping

k&j Landscaping Senior Member

You will not have any more problems. I do not understand why gm cannot get stuff right in the design of vehicles the first time. I love their trucks though always haveussmileyflag

6. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Mine is very loud at first start up when cold. After the truck warms a bit, the fan seems to quiet down. When I first got the truck, I noticed it alot. Now it doesnt really even bother me. I hear it and know it is doing its job!! And they made mine right, it was there from the factory

7. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

The fluid inside the fan clutch is very thick and with the truck sitting overnight or the part being just installed will take a minute or so for the fluid move and "unlock" the fan from being 100% engaged.

8. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

Thanks for the info

9. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

How can I tell if my 01 has been updated ??? I bought It used....Doesn't seem to have any over heating Issues...YET...

10. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

put your plow on and drive around....that's what I did with mine and noticed the temps starting to skyrocket. I bought the HD fan clutch at autozone for $69 with a lifetime warranty.

11. maineguides

maineguides Junior Member

I just put one on today and Its a lot louder than the original. Kind of annoying. Hopefully I'll just get use to it. I got it from Autozone for $64

12. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

Thats exactly what its meant to do too.. :)

13. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

that's the same on that I got... Autozone for 65 bucks.

14. maineguides

maybe bye being cheap and buying aftermarket were paying the price now. I wonder if the oem is as loud?

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes it is just as loud. Its letting you know that its doing the job.

And all fan clutches are generally louder right out of the box. They tend to quite down a little after some miles accumulate. All totally normal.

16. maineguides

great, Thanks

17. grnstripes

grnstripes Senior Member

Mine the deaaler put on a few months ago is a little louder especally whene cold like everyone else said but you dont notice it after a while. do notice it with the temp guage

18. maineguides

I cranked some Zepplin on the Radio today and the noise went away. That radio has fixed more squeaks, clunks and unidentifiable sounds in that truck.:)

19. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

Ahh, the radio. My second mechanic!

20. Doom & Gloom

Doom & Gloom Senior Member

It will get quieter, dealer put a warranty replacement on mine last season and it was loud for a month. All good and quiet now.