1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Installed Boss Wiring, Now ABS Light is ON

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by MJLsLawnCareNmo, Oct 21, 2008.

1. MJLsLawnCareNmo

MJLsLawnCareNmo Senior Member

I've been having a heck of a time installing this plow setup. Got the plow mounted on the truck (Boss V smart hitch2 on an '05 Dodge Ram 3500). Today I installed the wiring similar to the way the guy I bought it from had it on his '04 Dodge Ram 2500. I'm pretty sure I installed it right, but when I went to start the truck and try the plow out, the ABS light is now on (wasn't before) and also the "brake" light is on. Also the horn does not work. It's not a fuse cause I checked them with a test light and they all seemed to be ok. Could it have anything to do with the wire I spliced into under the dash? I used one of those 3M bullet connectors and put it on a pink wire with a yellow stripe on the wire mass that hangs down. That was the wire the guy said he used on his truck so I'm not sure. PLEASE HELP!

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Whats the pink and yellow wire for? How did you determine that was a good wire to use? Simply by the previous owners guidance? I hope not...

3. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Yeah if I was you, i would go to boss's website, and download a installation manual. Then I would take out the harness and start from the beginning. You shouldn't, well let me re-state that, there is no wire splicing under the dash. its all plug and play and its all in the grill. Take out that harness and start over with boss's installatin manual in front of you.

4. MJLsLawnCareNmo

Thanks for the reply. Yeah it was pretty much all plug and play with the exception of the BLACK/RED wire (I) to a 'keyed" 12V+ Ignitions source. Its the wire that runs insided the cab with the toggle switch wires and controler wires. Is there a different place to put that wire?

I do have a manual for the plow titled "RT3 Power-V Blade with smarthitch 2 Installation & Owner's Manual" Problem is it is very generic, but I insalled it like how the manual said and how the guy had it in his truck.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Use a fuse tap to get 12V ignition power from the fuse panel.

6. MJLsLawnCareNmo

Ok here's an update: I tried the plow, It works. Lights, controls, everything. The truck however has some problems.

1. The horn stopped working
    2. The speedometer stopped working
    3. The ABS light and the Brake light are on
    4. Cruise control doesnt work

I took the connector off that I spliced into a Pink wire with a yellow stripe uder the dash for the 12 Volt key on wire thinking well maybe the original wire only has power on one side. So I twisted the two wires back together as if it was never cut. Not sure if this made any difference or not.

When I was driving today the ABS light and the Brake light would come on and off every so often and only stay on for a few seconds. Then it would go off and everything worked again. Horn would honk, cruise would work, ABS light and brake light would be off, and the speedometer would work. When the lights would come back on I could honk the horn but the speedometer is all over the place. It flutters back and forth and is not alway smooth. Even when the lights on the dash are off it still isnt as smooth as normal. The lights came on and off about 10 times in about 15 minutes. Also the wipers came on by themselves and wouldnt shut off. It finally stopped.

As of right now the truck is back to it's original impared state. ABS and Brake light is on, no cruise, no horn, no speedometer.

What the heck is going on? Seems like I need an exorcist :p. Would anything from the plow wiring even cause this? If so what should I check or reverse? PLEASE HELP

7. MJLsLawnCareNmo

The fuse box is in the engine compartment not in the cab. So should I still try to run the wire back to the fuse box?

8. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

Yikes! :eek: im axiously awaiting B&B's response on this one..

9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

$400.bucks for an install sounds pretty good right now!

10. MJLsLawnCareNmo

You have no idea! I keep thinking to myself, this cant be THAT hard. It's a boss plow arent they supposed to be the best?

11. grandview

For plowing!

12. MJLsLawnCareNmo

Oh and I forgot to mention, when I turn the truck off, even if I hadn't touched the lights the whole time, they will turn on when I turn the truck off. I have to turn the keys to the on position, turn the lights on then off and take the key back out to turn the lights off.

13. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

:dizzy: wow man...sounds like you did a doozey on this one :cool:

14. grandview

15. Matt L.

Matt L. Member

ditto! LMAO

16. MJLsLawnCareNmo

For those following this thread here's another update: The entire wiring harness has been disconnected from the truck. If anything things are worse with the truck. Air bag lights, a "no bu5" is on the odometer. Something on the truck has gone very wrong. I fear it is one of the computers on the truck. Things are going crazy on it, plain and simple. Now I dont know if it's some amazing coincidence or something got shorted out from the install, but I have more strongly about the later.

Really really upset about the whole thing. I have an appointment tomorrow with the stealership to figure out what's wrong with the truck.

The plow worked fine, which doesnt surprise me. The whole wiring harness and that really isn't all that complicated it just looks that way. You literally could hook up the plow to a battery on the garage floor and it will work. That's what has me worried is how this whole thing happened in the first place. What caused it? And how do I prevent it from happening again when I go to re-install the wiring again?

I really dont think splicing into the wire under the dash caused any kind of problem. It's a key on wire and all you're doing is feeding power off it. I don't know but I hope it's not going to be too expensive to fix and that things will make sense in the end. Not a good way to start out my first year plowing.

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes I'm aware.
    Absolutely.

I doubt tying into the pink/yellow wire created this issue unless you have something in the plow harness wired wrong that would have sent a voltage spike into the trucks wiring circuits....lots of very sensitive and expensive electrical components at the other end of those wires. A fried BCM or ECBM will cost far more than if you would have payed a plow dealer the install fee's. ;)

Being that it's affecting so many different systems in the truck I'm likely to believe that you have (or have caused) a ground issue somewhere during the install process. So before heading over to the dealer you may want to check to be sure you didn't pull any grounds off under the hood or accidentally omit one from the battery. Make sure the battery terminals are tight and making good connection as well.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  18. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Well said B&B.

19. MJLsLawnCareNmo

Ok. I was never questioning your knowledge on the wire in question. I dont think you are but just in case don't be offended by my question. The reason I asked is because I dont think the wire on my harness is long enough to go back into the cab to the fuse box. I can always add a piece of wire on it to make it longer.

Yeah I truly think it is ground related too. The way everything in the truck is acting and how it is intermittent. I did find a thrown code on it last night which was P1652 which is "J1850 Communication Bus" & "Short to ground". After finding this and thinking about it I ran out to my truck at 3:30am and traced all the ground wires from one end to the other. They are all attached and there connections at the battery are tight. Somebody in one of the cummins forums said something about a short going to the ECM or the under the fuse box in relation to the p1652 code. Problem is there is little or no information to begin with let alone in any detail.

I really appreciate the help so far.

20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Are you positive you didn't cut or splice into any other wiring? The J1850 is the buss communication line that all the trucks related control modules communicate between one another on.

The instrument cluster, the ABS module, as well as the body control module (which one if its functions is to controls the head lights) all communicate with each other over that buss line.

Bottom line, sounds like the damage is done...Your going to need a good tech with a OEM Dodge scanner to diagnose which one are, and are not communicating and why.