1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Installation

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by sgoalie23, Feb 20, 2006.

1. sgoalie23

sgoalie23 Member

The push plate for a 01 F-550 is about $525. It's for a 9' fisher MMI. The question I have is, have any one of you ever installed your own plow? I have called around and to wire the truck up and install the push plate is $1500 give or take a few bucks. If I do it myself I'll save $500 to $600. Is it worth it, or is it just a big headache?

Thanks,
    Brian

2. Rappa

Rappa Member

Just go to the fisher website, download the wiring instructions for your light and wiring kit, and go for it. It will take you a day of work being it is your first time, but to save the money is well worth it in my oppinion. Just make sure you have the right butt connectors or scotch locks, wire, ect that you will need. You should be all set.

3. sgoalie23

sgoalie23 Member

It sounds like the wiring is not a problem, but what about the actual installation of the push plate. Through the Fisher web site it looks like there is a lot of drilling required. I assume these guys are charging $1500 for some reason. Thanks

4. Rappa

Rappa Member

Sorry I only own Chevy's / GM. They make it easy and already have all the holes pre-drilled.

Ford's are a different story. With the right tools, drilling is no problem. I would still give it a shot.

5. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

$1500 for an install???? Mount and harness is 3 hours max on a ford for an experienced installer, thats $500 per hour.

If you have some mechanical ability and air tools, floor jack and drills, try it yourself. Better yet, call a buddy who also has some ability and make a saturday of it.

If you get stuck or have any questions in particular after reading the instructions (before you attempt install) just yell, i can walk you through any questions (100+ installs on the fords).

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

"$1500 for an install???? Mount and harness is 3 hours max on a ford for an experienced installer, thats $500 per hour. "

You must have some FAST Techs. The Ford kit is not the easiest install out there, but if you have the tools, including a good drill motor and bits then you could do it yourself. We pay installers 8 hours flat rate for wiring, mount install and unit assembly on Fords. If the 1500 includes all the parts and labor, then that's a fair price.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2006
  7. Elsewhere

Elsewhere Junior Member

Pushplate install

I have a 2003 250 and pushplate install was about 1 1/2 hours for the MM1. Only had to drill 2 holes with the plow prep package. This was done by an experienced installer.

8. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

"3 hours max on a ford for an experienced installer"

Western and fisher both suggest 2 hours for the harness and 2 hours for the mount for new installs to their dealers. I could do a mount and harness on a ford SD in 3 hours or less, but i didnt a couple of installs a year, i did a couple hundred per season so i know exactly what tools are needed and what tricks there are to get the job done before the truck even hits the door.

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Yes, DD recommends 2 and 2 for just the mounts and harness. Our 8 Hours include Assembly of the plow blade, pump, and lights, mounting the unit on the truck adjusting the headlights, drop speed, etc.

10. sgoalie23

sgoalie23 Member

Bottom line is that we bought the F550 (which has a Curtis mount on it, which is for sale) and there is a Boss dealer that will remove the Curtis mount and the wiring, and install a new 9ft steel Boss plow and the appropriate kits for $3800 + tax.
    Brian