1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Installation on a vehicle that has a 'Lift'

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by daaboss, Dec 29, 2007.

Is there a need for a smaller 'V' plow that fits small trucks and Jeeps for Sidewalks

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
  2. No

1 vote(s)
  3. There is a better solution

1 vote(s)
  4. Someone already makes one

0 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. daaboss

daaboss Junior Member

This slightly edited post is already in the Jeep Forum. But I thought it might provide some helpful information how to deal with a Lifted truck or Jeep here in this Sno-way Forum:

'How I installed a snow plow on a Lifted 2005 Jeep Wrangler TJ Rubicon'

(pictures below are different pictures than the Jeep Forum post)

They said it couldn't be done! I have been snow plowing for over 13 years and I am hear to tell you that you can put a snowplow on lifted Jeeps and any other truck with a lift !!! As the story goes... it was time to retire my old pick-up truck and I really wanted to make better use of my 2005 Jeep Wrangler TJ Rubicon (with 6,000 miles). I am not a commercial snow plower as I usually only plow my own Fast Food store's parking lot w/drive thru, my home along with several friends and neighbors and the occasional person that asks me for help. Well have I got a set-up for you! I am proud of my black 2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. It has an automatic and is lifted 4 inches.

I started the conversion on my Jeep to make it a snow plow this last July! I made many, many phone calls trying to find a really good snow plow and I was amazed how most manufacturers do not understand the need to have a snow plow that can hop on the sidewalks (6' or wider) and clear the snow and slush that the big highway rigs throw on my property from the main roads that borders mine. Also my drive-thru lane cannot be negotiated with a full size plow. I will list the modifications it took to do this job right and I have a few pictures below to illustrate the modifications and show off my ideas and my great looking rig. Two things were done to make this all happen. First thing I did was choose a Sno-way 'MT' with the 6'8" blade and all of the goodies which includes a wireless remote control, rubber curb bumpers and the plastic sheath that hangs over the top of the blade to prevent blow over at higher speeds.

The Sno-way 'MT' (medium truck) weighs over 420 lbs. so as you can imagine I was not comfortable with all of the weight out front while traveling at higher speeds. So I came up with this idea to find some tractor 'suitcase' weights and have a bracket made that mounts in my Rear trailer hitch. I found Five 60# 'suitcase' tractor weights that you grab by their handle and drop each weight onto my custom bracket and lock in place with a 3/4" rod that slides through the middle. The Total weight with the bracket is about 320 lbs which happens to be the tongue load limit of the trailer hitch. Just to make this set-up really neat I had all of the pieces coated with the same rubber armour material that is sprayed onto pick-up beds. It looks great and makes it so I can easily install and remove the set-up in just one minute.

>>> Now for the most important modification! The frame of the Sno-way plow must remain very close to level in order for the Snow blade to maintain its correct operating angles. But when the frame is level the three mounting points were 6" below the mounting bracket (from Sno-way) that was mounted on my Jeep's frame! So: (1) the two mounting points were removed from the frame of the plow. (2) three 2" square heavy gauge tubes of 4", 6" and 8" lengths were stacked on top of each other and welded in place on top of the sno-way frame. (3) The two mounting points were now placed and welded on top of the square tubing that was just welded in place. Now the mounting points are six inches higher than stock. (4) The center lift/pivot arm was also lengthened by 4 1/2" to accommodate the change. Because lift/pivot arm is at an angle it was NOT lengthened by the same 6" the mounting points were raised. That is the whole job... all done... works fantasic!

So why did I choose the Sno-way? Four main reasons: (a) The Snoway is the only fully hydraulic plow that has 'downward pressure'. (Hinicker model 380-C also can backdrag and fits full size pickups) . The Sno-way downpressure is a huge asset when you are pulling snow away from garage doors and other tight areas.... this feature is huge! (b) the Snoway 'MT' series is a very, very heavy weight plow and I know that after 10 years this plow is still going to be in great shape. (c) the mounting bracket is rather simple to modify (d) Most important is the fact that I did NOT create an engineering nightmare with this modification. The extra 'stress' for plowing should transfer mainly onto the Snoway frame and should NOT overstress the integrity of my Jeep Rubicon. Keep in mind that the axles on a Rubicon are rated much higher than a standard Wrangler. I am not an expert but I am very comfortable that the axles can and will handle the extra 420 lbs. on the front axle and the extra 320 lbs. I put on the rear axle.

I do not have any airbags or any other suspension modification as a result of this snowplow installation. I have already plowed here, in Colorado, several times with this rig and I smile every time. I travel up to 60 MPH without any concern at all and I can tell you this rig moves a lot of snow and moves it fast! Would I recommend that you take a great Jeep like mine and plow for hours and hours? No. I wouldn't do that to any great rig. But I only do my own plowing and I take great care in not abusing my equipment. My last truck was an S-15/GMC Sonoma (S-10 chevy) and I plowed with it for 13 years, put on 150,000 miles and I was proud to tell the new owner that the truck will not use a drop of oil, get him 20 MPG and plow snow like no tomorrow.

I never 'lock' my axles nor do I plow in 'low' range. I can move mountains of snow with very little gas pedal in the normal 'drive' mode and with 4wd engaged. This 'blog' is only my opinion and my experiences. I wouldn't do anything to 'hurt' my Jeep. I hope I could be of some help.

I am not familiar with the new lighter weight snow plows that Snoway has introduced for 2008. All I know is that they are not as tall, are lighter weight and as a result are probably not as 'heavy duty' as the 'MT' model. If they mount the same as my setup I would imagine my modification will work just as well. But like I said... I have not seen one in person. I have the setup I want and I think it is built to do the work it needs to do here in Colorado.

One last thing I want to make clear is how I am convinced my modifications do NOT allow extra 'torque' or 'leverage' to be applied to the frame of the Jeep. It is my opinion that the frame of the snowplow itself will absorb the extra leverage. To me this is crucial as I often see other manufactures 'hang' their mounting bracket 'below' the frame of the vehicle and in my opinion that is something I would not do to my Jeep.... or any other vehicle. Good Luck!

Snow Plow 9.jpg

Snow Plow 5.jpg

Snow Plow 8.jpg

Snow Plow 1.jpg

Snow Plow 4.jpg
  2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The new 22 series mount allows for lifts and rubicon.
  3. daaboss

daaboss Junior Member

Does the 22 series mount level or below the frame?

Thanks for the information on the 'Series' 22 Sno-way. Sno-way apparently has made a change from this last July as they did not have that choice for a Jeep Wrangler made after 2003. I just now went to their online site to review their products and I can't open any 'Flash' demonstrations even though I have the latest updates and use 'Flash' for other applications. So now I have to rely on my memory from July:

When I called Sno-way this last summer (along with many other manufacturers) one of the main things I wanted to see was the bracket that attaches to the frame of the vehicle. I remember seeing a 'new' bracket (that I thought was for a '22' series plow) that had several mounting holes, for vertical adjustment) on the bracket. Now here is what concerns me about that style of bracket. It is my theory that the lower you mount your plow on that type of bracket.... the more 'leverage' you are applying to the frame of your vehicle. So it is my contention that the proper height adjustment should be made on the frame of the snow plow... 'before' the mounting point. That way the extra leverage is applied to the frame of the snow plow.

That is why I chose the series 'MT' mounting bracket. The two outside mounting points are only slightly below the frame and the center mounting point is close to level with the frame of the my vehicle. So it is very unlikely that any stress or damage will ever take place to the most important part of my vehicle... the frame!

I hope I explained my concerns properly. Maybe I am right.... maybe overly concerned... or maybe I just plain wrong. Only time will tell. But better safe than sorry. :salute:
  4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Snoway test things very well. I'm sure that they have abused their test units more then you ever would your own private vehicle, kind of like sending your girlfriend's kid brother out with a 6 pack and a driveway list.

I wasn't being critical of your choice or manner of accomplishing your goal. Just providing a little information.