1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Install your own Timbrens?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by NoStockBikes!!, Nov 14, 2002.

1. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

The little .pdf they have at the timbren website makes it look pretty straight forward. Do any of you guys install your own, and if not: why not? I need to add them to my truck, and I'm trying to figure out if it'd be worth the hassle to save some money and do it myself. I'm reasonably mechanically inclined, but don't want to get myself into a corner, cuz my plow truck is also my sole means of transportation. (This time of year, anyhow)
  2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I have them on my '97 chevy on front and back.They could not be easier.All you do is unbolt the stock bump stops and install these but to make it easier i would jack it up and pull the tire .The only thing you need to worrie about is if there are any brake lines or cables that are in the way or shock bolts.Other than that very simple.
  3. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Couldn't agree more,very simple,no special tools needed either,very fast job,go for it!
  4. NoStockBikes!!

Cool, I will. Thanks.
  5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

On my 98 K-3500 it took lees than an 1/2 hour to install both sides.
  6. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

NSB are you installing them on the front or rear of your truck ?? just wondering cause i have the same truck except (8.1 w/ allison)
  7. NoStockBikes!!

Front... I figure the rear doesn't need any help, I mean it's rated for what, 3700 lb payload or something? My primary concern is taking care of the front. Just gotta get around to getting them ordered. Been reading, and almost tempted to see if I can get the Monroe Muscle version local and cheap so I can do it today while I've got time. $10 says I end up ordering the Timbrens, though. :D
  8. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I have them front and back and i tell you they do work great i had a load of versa lock block for a small wall it filled the back of my bed and the truck still road leavel did not go down an inch.Plus i have them in the front for the plow and they keep it from saging.
  9. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Thanks..... i was thinking of installing them too,,,,but i was lazy and just cranked up the torsion bars 4 turns. My plow is pretty heavy (9'3" Sno-way Lobo) and the truck drops about 1 1/2" when i put the plow on. Let me know how they work out
  10. Maverick

Maverick Senior Member

I put them on the front of my truck. One bolt each side. 1/2 hr tops.
  11. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I looked at the .pdf, and my truck. IT looks like the snubbers would come out right where my shock is, what kind of clearance is there bewteen the shock and the bracket? And has anyone ever tried to extend their factory bump stops downward 1"? I was thinking of just using some square tube steel and trying that, thanks!
  12. Firesource

Firesource Junior Member

Timbrens vs. Tortion bar adj.

Looking for some direction for my '03 Silverado 2500HD (Ext. Cab / 6L v8 / short box).

I'm having the Boss 8'2" V-Plow installed in then next couple days. The dealer says they have a standard practice of cranking up the tortion bars 5 turns for installation of this plow on this truck.

What do you all think of this? What is the better option, doing this - or using the Timbrens on the front?

This is my 1st plow, and this is my only means of transportation. I plan to drive w/o the plow the majority of the time --- and to only hook it up as needed (but in Buffalo, that could be from this weekend --- until mid March!).