1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

install worth

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by EGLC, Oct 6, 2009.

1. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

What would you say is a fair price for the following to be installed??

6 strobes
    6 leds
    4 work lights

All hardware is supplied.

2. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

Priceless......
    lol

3. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

LOL f@ck u colin hahaha

4. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Depends where you take it. If you take it to the local cop shop, they do a superb job with the detail. Figure all those lights you metnioned, they might charge in the ballpark of $400-600. But the places that install plows usually just do a quick job and prices are a little cheaper. It all depends on whos doing it. I do my own stuff now after seeing how easy the stuff is.

5. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

i'd do that job for 200.00

6. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

why cant you live here???? f2cker charged me $400

7. Dissociative

well....you could have flown me out there for that.....

remember i do fly to places and do stuff as well........

8. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

thta's not a bad price so long as the job was done well! A real good install takes a good bit of time to run wires right...the concept behind it all is real simple, but doing it right requires a little bit of forethought to make it last! And if you got that quality job for $400, then you shouldn't ever have to worry about wire corroding, bad grounds, or bad wire connections! In that case, its worth the money to have it done once!

9. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

My local cop guy would only charge around $175 - $200 as well.

10. mcwlandscaping

I just realized there wasn't a plow being installed here as well! My fault i'm so used to seeing the two together when i do installs for people! I agree with the two posters above...$200 or so would have been more reasonable.

11. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I just realized you were in Trashua. You coming over next weekend to help install on my Multiplex / non multiplex system? lol :nod:

12. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

anyone in NJ wanna charge me $200 to install strobes and work lights ?

13. GPS

GPS Senior Member
    from MA

I think we could make a good snow plowing - ice management analogy here. :laughing:

Two different guys could "plow a parking lot", but the results could be very different. One could be very clean and stacked nicely in a good location. The other guy's lot could have snow lines everywhere, not pushed back very far, and piles on sidewalks, etc. They were both "plowed".

Hooking up wires and installing pieces is only part of the job. Securing and routing wiring cleanly is a different story. Wiring connections on the exterior of a vehicle should be in a waterproof connector, or soldered and coated with a sealing shrink-wrap. A butt-connector and tape will work- for now. But after being subjected to salty water for awhile, the connection will corrode, and the wiring will rust up inside the insulation. By that point, the guy that installed it all won't care. He already got paid, and the 30 day warranty is up. My point is, a nice job takes time. The cheapest isn't necessarily the best.

I really need some sleep. :dizzy:

14. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

and noone will ever care to do as clean job as you would like it to be

I better do it my self I guess

15. mcwlandscaping

hahaha i would love to!

16. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

The best way to tell if you are getting your money's worth is to look at previous installs and check references. Word of mouth is the best way to judge an installer/up-fitter. You mentioned that all hardware is provided. If you brought me all that equipment, the only hardware I would use is the actual brackets. The wire and fuse holders included with most kits are junk. One of the most common failures I see is a cheap fuseholder melting till it disintegrates. Believe it or not, I've had cases where the entire fuse has melted except for the actual fuse coil itself.

http://www.safetylightingandequipment.com/docs/Melted fuse holder Flyer.pdf

So if you want to make sure you are getting your money's worth, then check references. Also don't think paying a low price is "getting a deal". As GPS stated, it's worth paying more to have it done once and last. Especially since you might be plowing all night, when the shop it closed and can't fix any issues right away.

-John

17. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

I think I was way over charged $550 was the final totaly and not all my wires are sealed....i got fu cked

18. Dissociative

sorry bro.......take it back and make him do it right.

whats a ticket to jersey cost?.....LOL

19. Dissociative

Recent Cheap Airline Airfares from Newark, New Jersey (EWR) to Chicago, Illinois (CHI)
    Date
    Time
    Price
    Rating

16 Oct 09
    10:00
    $ 125
    Airfare Email Alert Fare Rating 2-Star

15 Oct 09
    $ 110
    Airfare Email Alert Fare Rating 3-Star

06 Oct 09
    $ 125

05 Oct 09
    12:30
    $ 134

05 Oct 09
    $ 138

28 Sep 09
    20:00
    $ 125

28 Sep 09
    20:00
    $ 125

28 Sep 09
    $ 110
    Airfare Email Alert Fare Rating 3-Star

20. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

supposedly he's coming over today to seal all connections and give me a written 6 month warranty on his lights.